LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lathlee
|
The back page says line 30-33 has the key reference to Answering this Q. .. The passage is about unauthorized digitization is not yet technically punished as a crime are a universal phenomenon. Some experts propose simply adding unauthorized digitalization to the list of activities prescribed under current law enforcement.

The Q and A of Q 25 are about unauthorized digitization users and how much-unauthorized digitization users are allowed to do .......it supports since entire passage makes clear that there is no such thing as a universal definition of copyrighted usage under internet.

so D) is more safe and correct answer than A.

I don't get why A) is the correct answer
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question 25 is about finding a compromise between internet users and publishers. The last lines of the passage tell us that the internet community views information as freely available to all, while publishers want to treat is as a commodity. I don't see the connection to lines 30-33 - where are you finding a reference to those lines? You said on the back page - the back page of what?

I see the evidence throughout the passage, but starting with the last sentence to help us understand the two sides that need a compromise. Answer A gives us that compromise by allowing anyone to access information on the internet (satisfying the first group) for a small fee (satisfying the second group).
 lathlee
|
back page as 12-111. but Now i see, there was no line 30-33 supporting A) . sorry I misread for my defense, i was asking in late and was tired. Most importantly, Thank you so much for answering so late so i might get an important revelation for an important test
 BMM2021
|
Hi, could answer A be elaborated a bit more?

I didn't like any of the answers, but I chose E because if you squint really hard it sort of fits into the "current" academic provisions of copyright law while also allowing internet users to simply claim they are conducting research and thereby get digitization rights for free. Not a pretty answer, and I didn't feel good about it at the time.

However, I had crossed out A as a contender largely because I felt there was simply no information regarding internet users' attitude towards paying fees to base any sort of related inference on. All we're told is that they are "accustomed to treating information as raw material available for everyone to use." In turn, I felt that assuming they would be willing to pay even a small fee for this information was a bridge too far - it felt like assuming people would be content to pay a small fee to breathe air. I understand air and copyrighted materials are different, but I just don't know how to assume that internet users in the wild days of the mid-90s thought of them differently, given the informational parameters of this passage.

Obviously, I'm wrong here. Just looking for some help understanding.

Thanks
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The keys here are "compromise" and "small fee", BMM. Content creators want to exercise full ownership and retail all rights to copy things. You can't run my book through a copy machine and give it to your friends, so why should you be allowed to share copies of the Kindle version? Meanwhile, internet users want the wild west, where they can do what they want with no consequences.

Answer A is a compromise, because content creators are giving up some control and allowing others to make copies digitally. Users are giving up some of their freedom by paying a small fee. Neither side gets everything they want, but they both get some of what they want, which is the essence of compromise. Sounds like you were forgetting that compromise requires the users to give up a little something! Hey, a small fee is better than no access at all, right? In that sense, your air analogy is good - if I had a choice of no air or else a small fee, I suppose I would pay. Wouldn't you?

I also liked E briefly, but the problem is that it doesn't do anything to help anyone other than researchers. All the other users who want free stuff can't have anything at all. The creators have given up a little control, but many users of the internet get nothing that they want. And the publishers don't get anything for what they've given up, so it's not much of a win for them, either. Not much of to that compromise that anyone, other than researchers, should find acceptable.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.