LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

biskam
|
This question was a little weird for me... I ruled out B because I actually felt like it was compatible and I chose C instead.

This was the toughest question for me so I would appreciate any and all help.

I feel like I'm missing the author's view on children?
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Similar to Question #15, this question is asking which statement does not check out with Bettelheim's views. These differ from the views of the author. Once again, answer choice (B) sounds very sympathetic to children. Bettelheim seems to view children as too selfish as it is. He would probably disagree with answer choice (B) as a statement that would further this selfish attitude that children possess.
 jmramon
|
Thanks for the help thus far! For this question, I was able to eliminate A,C, and D pretty easily, but had trouble eliminating E. I understand why B is correct, however could someone please explain why E isn't correct? To me, it seems like Bettelheim's argument about children gaining moral instruction from fairy tales wouldn't be possible if children couldn't distinguish between stories and reality until puberty.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi JM,

This question is asking for which answer is least compatible with Bettelheim's views.
As explicitly stated in the passage, Bettelheim views fairy tales as cautionary, instructive stories for children, who learn that acting on their bad impulses will lead to (literal) punishment, implying that they cannot distinguish between reality and fantasy. Their parents' need are to be valued over theirs, as their impulses are viewed as inherently bad.

Answer choice (E) says that children cannot distinguish between fantasy, like that presented in fairy tales, and reality. This is an assumption of Bettelheim's claims, necessary to show that fairy tales exist as cautionary examples to children who take their meanings and the negative outcomes for misbehaving children literally. So (E) is not only compatible with, but necessary for Bettelheim.

(B) is correct because it links fairy tales to children's development of their own self-importance, whereas Bettelheim does the opposite. He sees fairy tales as useful for parents to keep their children in line, thus subordinating children's wants and needs to that of their parents.

Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.