LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

cindyhylee87
|
Hi,

I am not quite sure why answer choice (A) would most likely be de-emphasized. Please explicate.

Thanks,
Cindy
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'll try, Cindy!

In this passage, we learn that Bettelheim and other psychologists tend to interpret fairy tales in ways that set up the children as the bad guys, the ones who need a good lesson, and the parents are not to blame. Check out the text in lines 32-39 to support this idea. Later we hear about Bettelheim viewing the tales as "inflexible tenets of moral instruction." He's in line with those adults who don't like interpretations that suggest that parents might be selfish, greedy, cold-hearted or wrong. It's those darn kids!

For these reasons, Bettelheim would be most likely to play down any suggestion that the parents, rather than the kids, are the transgressors. Portraying the parents as "hard hearted" as in answer A would run counter to his preferred theme and interpretation, and so that's the one he would be most likely to de-emphasize. They aren't hard hearted, they're just trying to teach their kids an important lesson about greed or contributing to the family or something like that.

I hope that helps!
 cindyhylee87
|
Perfect!

Thank you,
Cindy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.