LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ameliakate
|
Hi –

I selected E for this question. I now realize E is incorrect because the author does not question a judge’s ability to disallow leading questions; the author indicates this practice alone does not prevent the effect of leading questions on witness testimony.

I do not understand the first part of answer choice D, however. What other factors tend to increase the eyewitness’s susceptibility? I thought the author was demonstrating that leading questions outside of the courtroom increase the possibility of fallacious testimony, which current methods of preventing leading questions do not address. So in my mind, no new factors were introduced to compound the effects of leading questions in the courtroom on witness testimony.

Thank you!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Amelia,

The trick to this one is realizing that leading questions aren't only an issue in the courtroom. As the introduction to the passage provides, this a problem not only with courtrooms, but anywhere that a witness may be asked questions before the courtroom testimony. Why? The passage explains that questions can influence a person's memory of an event, either questioning by a reporter, the police, or a lawyer. It can plant false ideas in someone's head, and that results in the increased likelihood of inaccurate testimony by a witness. That can occur even if a judge refuses to allow leading questions in the courtroom because by then it's too late! The damage could have already been done in earlier interviews about the event in question.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 tug59567
|
Hello Rachael/Powerscore,

Thank you for your response! Would it be correct to assume that "other factors" refers to, as the stimulus mentions, how memory wains over time and how the attention given to remembering a memory impacts the memory's accuracy?

I also don't see how you can conflate other situations with "factors" as it seems done in the explanation - some help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and happy holidays!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The last paragraph of the passage suggests some of those other factors, tug. Those include the time elapsed since the event in question, and the degree to which a detail is central or tangential.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.