LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 adiazvalls
|
Hi!
So I'm a terrible test taker. I have been studying and practicing for 2 months now in preparation for my October lsat.
I don't believe I can score higher than a 158 or 160. My goal is to enter FIU, which has a median entry score of 158, but is extremely competitive.
However.... my gpa in undergrad was a 3.9. I also have a strong resume and personal statement.
I worry I might not get in due to my lack of score.
I'm trying my best. What do you recommend I can do? I get horrible test anxiety, so I'll probably only take the LSAT one more time if I do not reach my goal in October.
Do I even have a chance? Does GPA hold equal or less weight than LSAT scores? Does GPA + Statement + Resume weigh more than LSAT scores?
I'm trying to make up for my testing issues, but I wish to know if it will even be worth it or if I'll have to retake the exam more than twice until I reach 160 just to even have a chance.

Please let me know if this makes sense, I am quite anxious :-?
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
adiazvalls wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:51 pm Hi!
So I'm a terrible test taker. I have been studying and practicing for 2 months now in preparation for my October lsat.
I don't believe I can score higher than a 158 or 160. My goal is to enter FIU, which has a median entry score of 158, but is extremely competitive.
However.... my gpa in undergrad was a 3.9. I also have a strong resume and personal statement.
I worry I might not get in due to my lack of score.
I'm trying my best. What do you recommend I can do? I get horrible test anxiety, so I'll probably only take the LSAT one more time if I do not reach my goal in October.
Do I even have a chance? Does GPA hold equal or less weight than LSAT scores? Does GPA + Statement + Resume weigh more than LSAT scores?
I'm trying to make up for my testing issues, but I wish to know if it will even be worth it or if I'll have to retake the exam more than twice until I reach 160 just to even have a chance.

Please let me know if this makes sense, I am quite anxious :-?
Hi adiazvalls,

Thanks for the post. First of all, you got this! If you try and maintain a positive attitude—that you can do this—you're more likely to succeed. Read this article for more insight on this: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid-32 ... -the-lsat/.

With that out of the way, a few thoughts here. First, and the answer you're probably not hoping for: your LSAT score holds the most weight on your application. Second, and an answer that's more promising: if you use this tool to input your GPA and even a 158 LSAT, you'll see that your likelihood of admission is already above 70%. Of course, that's just an estimate, but hopefully, it provides you with a bit of encouragement.

To increase those chances, make sure that your "softs” (letters of recommendation, personal statement, resume, etc.) are as strong as possible. :) And of course, continue to focus on your LSAT studies so you can reach (and surpass!) your score goals. As you mentioned test anxiety as an issue, make sure you check out these resources: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/the-ul ... urce-list/. :)

I hope this helps! Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.