LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 ncolicci11
|
Hello Powerscore!

I will be reapplying to LS this fall after initially applying in Fall 2020. At that point, I was a senior in college. How far back should my new resume go? In other words, what should be excluded? The initial resume went as far back as a freshmen year internship in Spring 2018.

Thanks for all you do!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ncolicci11!

Happy to offer some suggestions.

In general, since you mentioned that your "initial resume went as far back as a freshmen year internship in Spring 2018," that certainly doesn't seem too far back.

For most applicants, anything they've done relevant during undergraduate studies is appropriate to include on the resume. If there's a concern with someone going too far back on their resume, it's usually because they're including information as far back as high school. Perhaps in some cases that will be relevant (e.g., if they lacked other things to put on their resume), but generally that's going too far back.

It might also be the case that something from freshman year would be less relevant for someone who graduated from undergrad long ago and applying to law school later in life. In that case, it might have less place on the resume especially if this came at the cost of including material about what one has been doing more recently. But that doesn't seem to be the case for you in terms of undergrad still being in your recent past.

Finally, with those points in mind, it seems worthwhile to keep something like a relevant internship on your resume, even if it's from freshman year. On a resume, something like that shouldn't need to take more than one line and therefore shouldn't take away much space from details about your more recent experiences.

Hope those suggestions help!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.