LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Below, accepted law school student Andrew asks for advice from PowerScore admissions expert Dave Killoran.

Andrew: "Hi Dave,

I listened to the podcast where you advised someone choosing between Chicago and Berkeley at equal cost. I was wondering if my situation — Michigan vs. NYU — is analogous.

NYU gave me almost twice as much scholarship money, and Michigan refused to up their offer.

Still, given differences in the cost of living, my overall cost of attendance would be nearly identical — approximately 270k for either school. Maybe throw in an extra 10k for NYU and NYC cost of living to be conservative.

I visited the NYU area earlier this month for ASW and honestly didn’t love it. NYC wasn’t my cup of tea, and I found Ann Arbor more liveable. I think I’d probably be happier there.

But if I want top outcomes — and I do — would I objectively be making a mistake by choosing Michigan over a T6?

Best,
Andrew"

Dave Killoran: "Hi Andrew,

In this case, the two schools both have great outcomes, and really aren’t that far apart: https://www.lawschooltransparency.com/s ... u/michigan. If costs are close and you feel like Michigan is a better environment–and you will consequently perform better–then Michigan is very defensible. A better class position at Michigan will serve you far better than an okay performance at NYU since class standing/grades have a HUGE impact on job outcomes.

Thanks!"

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.