LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 bapeterson11
|
Hi!

In my application I have to include a letter of explanation if I answer yes to the question “have you ever been charged or convicted of any felony or misdemeanor, petty or other offense, including moving traffic violations?” I have received 3 speeding tickets in my life, one careless driving ticket (I slid on ice and accidentally hit another car with my car), and one texting and driving ticket I received when I was stopped at a stoplight and an officer pulled up next to me.

I have a few questions :)

1- do I need to disclose parking tickets from the past?
2- when I disclose my tickets, is it okay to include my explanations (ie slid on ice) or should I simply state that I received a careless driving ticket and leave it at that?
3- in this letter, should I apologize for these offenses, or simply state them and let it be?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
bapeterson11 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:16 pm Hi!

In my application I have to include a letter of explanation if I answer yes to the question “have you ever been charged or convicted of any felony or misdemeanor, petty or other offense, including moving traffic violations?” I have received 3 speeding tickets in my life, one careless driving ticket (I slid on ice and accidentally hit another car with my car), and one texting and driving ticket I received when I was stopped at a stoplight and an officer pulled up next to me.

I have a few questions :)

1- do I need to disclose parking tickets from the past?
2- when I disclose my tickets, is it okay to include my explanations (ie slid on ice) or should I simply state that I received a careless driving ticket and leave it at that?
3- in this letter, should I apologize for these offenses, or simply state them and let it be?

Hi B,

Here you go:

1. Not per the "moving" part of the request. But on some apps, they do need to be disclosed--read the wording carefully! But even if so, they don't care so don't worry about it.

2. Yes, absolutely.

3. I would take responsibility and not make excuses. Growth from error is nothing to be ashamed of.

Thanks!
 bapeterson11
|
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help :)

Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.