LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Below, PowerScore admissions expert Dave Killoran provides some advice to an Argentinian lawyer who is thinking of attending law school in the US.

Sol: "Hi Dave!
First let me thank you for all the advice you continuously give. Reading your comments has been enlightening. Furthermore, I am a big fan of your Podcast, which is a big source of inspiration for me to continue studying for the LSAT and to go grab whatever you are drinking afterwards.

I am not your regular applicant: I am a 34 year old lawyer from Argentina, where I currently live. I have been working in the Federal Judiciary of my country since I graduated from law school, 11 years ago. Also, I have continued studying and hold a masters degree in law. Finally, I am currently a professor at the University of law where I graduated, at an undergraduate program.

I have been wanting to move abroad for a while now, and have concluded that my best chances to be able to practice law abroad and get a good return in terms of my decision, is to get a JD in the U.S. and practice there.

That being said, I was wondering if taking into account my profile, I should limit my applications to the T20ish law schools, considering that getting a job right away after graduating is of foremost importance to me due to visa issues. In other words, is it worthwhile applying to lower ranked schools? Of course scholarship money would be definitely factored in when making a decision, but if my LSAT score does not allow me to apply to a T20 law school, do you think I could still have some interesting job outcomes considering my particular profile? I am interested and have practiced in a wide array of subjects and would ultimately lean towards the one in which I would have a better job outcome, prioritizing the possibilities of being hired, career growth and salary.

Thank you for your time and patience!
Sol."

Dave Killoran: "Hey Sol,
Thanks for the message and for being a loyal listener of the podcast! It’s awesome to hear we have fans in Argentina :)

Your situation is a really interesting one because for you the job outcome is absolutely critical. In that vein, the T20 is attractive because we know the employment outcomes there are numerically higher than at lower-ranked schools. At the same time, your skill set makes you an appealing hire for firms with a sizable or growing Latin American practice focus. That certainly encompasses many larger firms such as Ropes & Gray, but there are firms outside that biglaw sphere working in that space. since this is so specialized, in your shoes I’d spend some time researching firms with Latin American practices, and looking at the resumes of the attorneys who work in that area. That would give you a sense of who/where they hire, and you could possibly even reach out to an attorney or two for advice if they already work in a position that looks like a good fit for you.

The bottom line is that outside the T20 there will still be opportunities (and perhaps moreso at schools located in areas with larger Spanish speaking populations), and you should research those attorneys already in the field to get the best sense of what the odds are, because the entire T20 ideas is built on increasing your odds of success. Either way, it would seem to me you could put together a compelling resume for firms looking for your background and skills.

Thanks and good luck!"

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.