LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 redryder
|
I only found one forum post that talked about hybrid in person/online programs. At the time Dave mentioned that they're still an unknown in the hiring world.

There are no law schools close to me. And I have a house, husband, and good job here. So going to a traditional school means leaving a secure job and taking on the expense of another residence. (husband is settled and would not move) This also means I'm geographically limited to schools within driving distance.

But at least one of the hybrid programs would fit easily into my current work conditions. And as it can be part-time, I could keep working. As a bonus, they have a specialty track in the field of law I'm interested in. But they're low ranked by US News.

So after another year of graduates from the hybrid programs, is there any better sense of how they fare in the job market? And is it reasonable to risk attending a bottom quartile program if it means doing law school without taking on any debt?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Data is still too slim to draw any conclusions, but if law firms are going to keep up with hiring (which they are), they are going to have to hire people who spent a year or two in an online world, including hybrids. That's simply the reality they must face, so you will not be at a disadvantage just because some portion of your legal education was online.

Graduating with little to no debt is great, but the question then becomes what sort of job opportunities you will have. I faced a similar situation to you when I went to law school - couldn't relocate, had a mortgage and a young child to take care of, so I had to go at night and work full time. I found work, but I wasn't competitive for any Big Law jobs or clerkships and was never going to be on a track for teaching law. That's just the reality I had to face, and you probably will as well. If you're okay with that, and have some ideas about what you would like to do with your JD that fit those constraints, then go for it! Having little debt gives you the flexibility to be a little picky about what you do, and little downside if you don't immediately find the right position.

Forget the USN stats and look instead at the program's bar passage rate and employment outcomes. Is this program just taking your money and giving you little in the way of results, or are they in the business of educating future lawyers? Look at your own circumstances - are you reasonably confident about your employment prospects? I have had students who knew they would be hired by their parent's law firm, or who were working as paralegals and their employers loved them and supported them through the process, knowing they would hire them. What about your situation might counterbalance the negatives associated with a lower-ranked program?

It sounds to me like the program you have identified fits your needs nicely, but you have to dig a little deeper to see what it will mean for you down the line. Just having a JD won't guarantee the career you want, sadly, so make sure you can get your desired outcome before you commit that time and effort.
 redryder
|
Thanks for the encouraging response.

Except for the very high and very low, I'm not sure what to think about bar passage rates. They make me imagine a LR question:

Dean Bigman declares that "Hallowed Law School obviously offers the best educational experience, as proven by our #1 ranking on bar passage rates."

Which of the following, if true, most weakens Dean Bigman's assertion?

Correct answer, (c): Hallowed Law School classes consistently have the highest median LSAT scores which correlate with eventual successful passage of the bar.

So, do graduates do well on the bar because of the school they attended, or do schools have high bar passage rates because they admit more students who will pass the bar?

Biglaw, clerkships, and academia aren't where I want to end up , so that's not a factor in my decision. My hope for a legal education is to take a step sideways from what I'm doing now (medicine) and find work where my prior education and experience will be an asset.

I've already taken the LSAT and got a score I consider good, but not great. My plan is to keep studying and retest in a few months. If I raise my score by a lot, my options for other schools, financial aid, and job prospects may warrant looking at other options.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sounds like you have the info you need to make a good decision here, and you're in a good position to take advantage of that program if you choose. And even a low bar passage rate is not determinative, as you pointed out with your LSAT-style question analysis. Nice! As long as you go into it with eyes wide open, fully informed and prepared to accept whatever consequences may come of your choice, you can make the most of it and create excellent results for yourself.

Incidentally, I had a classmate who was a surgeon, and he was never concerned about being employed after law school. He just wanted to have the option of an alternate career, most likely as a consultant or expert witness on med-mal cases., if and when he was no longer able to operate, and felt a J.D. would be a bonus. For him, the choice of law school was almost irrelevant, so he went to our part-time evening program in the same town where he worked and lived. Winner!
 redryder
|
Quick response here:

I'm in. Got my acceptance by email this morning, paid my deposit.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
redryder wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:30 pm Quick response here:

I'm in. Got my acceptance by email this morning, paid my deposit.
That's great to hear! Congrats! :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.