LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 gam46@students.uwf.edu
|
Good afternoon,

Having submitted some of my applications already, I am now considering taking another LSAT in January. In my original application, it had been my thought that I would not take another. Would taking another LSAT require giving notice to the schools with whom I have registered? If so, would this harm my applications? I am confident that I could achieve a score increase given this time.

Thanks for your time,

Gaige.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Gaige,

If you already submitted your applications with an LSAT score but didn't tell schools that you’re retaking, schools may still see that you have a retake scheduled (it will be on the Law School Report they receive).

However, it depends on the school whether they render a decision with your initial score or hold your application until the new score is received. Because of this uncertainty, if you have a pending retake, it is best that you write the school and request the action you prefer. Either ask them to review immediately with the score on record or hold until your new LSAT score arrives.

As to how you can let schools know you’re retaking and requesting they hold off until new scores are in–there are a number of possibilities. Some schools have an area on the application form to note that information. Or, they may give you specific instructions on how to do it. For others, you need to email them to alert them of the retake. In any case, make sure they are notified in some fashion! Even if you’re accepted with your first score, you’ll want them to review your file again if you improve your score in case you qualify for any additional financial aid.

And to that last point, it won't harm your application if you have a pending retake, especially if you're confident you can increase your score. :-D

I hope this helps! Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.