LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 leggo7890
|
Hi Powerscore,

I am nearly done with my apps and submitted most of them already but I have found myself suddenly worried about one aspect of my application - the Employment section.

I am a non-trad applicant who back in late 2019 decided to leave my job to pursue my dream of becoming a lawyer. And then COVID hit in early 2020 and the world was completely altered. I was technically "unemployed" for over a year in that I received unemployment benefits from my local government.

But while I was "unemployed," I wasn't sitting around doing nothing. I was involved with my family business and worked with them in 2020 even though I didn't get paid from them. The business, like most businesses, struggled during the COVID pandemic, and I didn't ask my parents to pay me since they already were paying for rent and helped support my college education.

In the "Employment" section, I listed full-time work at my family business starting in 2020 because I had been working for them during the Pandemic even when "unemployed." And as context, I do work for them still right now and I now do get paid and am no longer on unemployment benefits.

My big concern here is when the Bar gets involved after I graduate. I know they will inquire deeply into my background and I am worried they may not like what I put in my Employment section - saying I was employed with family business even when "unemployed" in 2020.

Am I overworrying here? I am prepared to explain my situation if it ever arises but it makes me worried since I had already submitted most of my apps and I didn't think this would be a big deal.

FYI, to be very conservative and safe, in that section of the app where they ask for # of full-time work months, I only included the number of months I worked where I was PAID. In case they look into unemployment payments & paystubs from work. I wanted to be conservative in case they inquired later on.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
leggo7890 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:02 pm Hi Powerscore,

I am nearly done with my apps and submitted most of them already but I have found myself suddenly worried about one aspect of my application - the Employment section.

I am a non-trad applicant who back in late 2019 decided to leave my job to pursue my dream of becoming a lawyer. And then COVID hit in early 2020 and the world was completely altered. I was technically "unemployed" for over a year in that I received unemployment benefits from my local government.

But while I was "unemployed," I wasn't sitting around doing nothing. I was involved with my family business and worked with them in 2020 even though I didn't get paid from them. The business, like most businesses, struggled during the COVID pandemic, and I didn't ask my parents to pay me since they already were paying for rent and helped support my college education.

In the "Employment" section, I listed full-time work at my family business starting in 2020 because I had been working for them during the Pandemic even when "unemployed." And as context, I do work for them still right now and I now do get paid and am no longer on unemployment benefits.

My big concern here is when the Bar gets involved after I graduate. I know they will inquire deeply into my background and I am worried they may not like what I put in my Employment section - saying I was employed with family business even when "unemployed" in 2020.

Am I overworrying here? I am prepared to explain my situation if it ever arises but it makes me worried since I had already submitted most of my apps and I didn't think this would be a big deal.

FYI, to be very conservative and safe, in that section of the app where they ask for # of full-time work months, I only included the number of months I worked where I was PAID. In case they look into unemployment payments & paystubs from work. I wanted to be conservative in case they inquired later on.
Hi leggo,

Thanks for the post! I wouldn't worry too much! You seem ready to explain it if it's ever questioned. Just be sure to fully disclose this information when it comes time for your bar exam.

Also, 2020 was, well... a weird year. Many individuals classified as "employed" during this time also received unemployment benefits, were furloughed, etc. So it may not even be questioned, but if it is, simply explain it as you did above: while you were not paid, you were indeed working to help your family earn an income during the pandemic, and this later became a paid position as the financial stress from the pandemic eased up a bit.

Thanks!
 leggo7890
|
Hi Stephanie,

Thank you so much for easing my worries! I really genuinely appreciate your reply.

It looks like I was indeed overworrying haha. I just wanted to start my law school path on the right foot. Thanks again :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.