LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 leggo7890
|
Hi, I am very interested in applying to UGA and I am mulling over whether to apply ED.

My stats are 166 LSAT and 3.4x GPA. My LSAT is right at the median for this cycle and my GPA is below their median. I inputted my numbers into the official LSAC/GPA calculator and I get a pretty wide range of chances. They said, historically, in 2020, 30% to 70% of applicants with my numbers were admitted. That's a very large band and makes things complicated.

I love the school and how cheap tuition is. But applying ED scares me because I am afraid I won't get any money as a result. Plus, it is one of my top schools (I would be happy to attend), but not my absolute DREAM school. And it seems more like a 'target' school then a true 'reach' school?

I am not URM but I am a non-traditional applicant (several years of work experience).

I'm just wary of how much applying ED would boost my odds versus going RD. But I am tempted only because I am wary of a similar nightmare that was last year's cycle. What do you suggest?
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
leggo7890 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:38 pm Hi, I am very interested in applying to UGA and I am mulling over whether to apply ED.

My stats are 166 LSAT and 3.4x GPA. My LSAT is right at the median for this cycle and my GPA is below their median. I inputted my numbers into the official LSAC/GPA calculator and I get a pretty wide range of chances. They said, historically, in 2020, 30% to 70% of applicants with my numbers were admitted. That's a very large band and makes things complicated.

I love the school and how cheap tuition is. But applying ED scares me because I am afraid I won't get any money as a result. Plus, it is one of my top schools (I would be happy to attend), but not my absolute DREAM school. And it seems more like a 'target' school then a true 'reach' school?

I am not URM but I am a non-traditional applicant (several years of work experience).

I'm just wary of how much applying ED would boost my odds versus going RD. But I am tempted only because I am wary of a similar nightmare that was last year's cycle. What do you suggest?
Hey Leggo,

Thanks for the post! Dave and Jon discuss this situation in one of their podcasts: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/podcas ... mailbag-7/ at the 1:15 mark.

Applying ED certainly can give a boost, but just as you note, that means you can't negotiate scholarships and you're committed to that school. So, you have to weigh what's most important to you: a. having a bit more certainty that you'll get accepted, but that you may have to pay full-ride or b. less certainty of admittance but more of a chance to negotiate scholarships.

That's a personal choice, but based on two things you said ("applying ED scares me because I am afraid I won't get any money as a result" and "it is... not my absolute DREAM school") it seems like applying RD might be best in your case. :)

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.