LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 leggo7890
|
Hi Powerscore,

I am in a conundrum right now because I don't know whether I need to do an LSAT addendum or not. And this is not necessarily for a good case.

When I applied last cycle, I had a score of 165, which I was very happy with. But I applied late last cycle and was rejected/waitlisted at the vast majority of schools I applied to. Last cycle was just a nightmare and I wanted to bet on myself again this cycle to further improve my score and improve my chances.

The sad reality is that I took both the August and October LSAT and I actually did worse than the 165. I dropped steeply in August to 158, which was devastating, and then rose it back up to a 163 in October. The October score was better because it's only 2 points off my highest score but it is still a lower score nonetheless.

I am out of LSAT attempts and I have accepted my reality. Regardless of doing worse, I am happy to have tried again to do better even if it did not work out.

If I am being honest, I simply underperformed on the last 2 takes. I am just not a great test-taker and battled anxiety both times. But I don't want to pinpoint the performances to things like illness or something that is not true. I just underperformed.

Despite being proud of my 166, there is a HUGE elephant in the room - "Why did you take this test again 2x and do worse?" Again, the rise in medians meant I needed to try and improve so I can better my chances. That is the honest reason.

I have spoken with a number of people and they think an addendum won't help much because all those LSAT attempts already show a resilience to do better even if it didn't pan out. That an addendum won't help much overall.

What would you suggest? Again, I am applying to schools in my ballpark score (around 165) which is why I am nervous about whether I need to do this. Sadly, no matter the risks I took, I feel like I shot myself in the foot and my 166 won't be of much merit anymore in this cycle.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Leggo,

Easy answer here: don't write one. You don't have a good reason for the lower scores so it will just look like excuse-making. On that front, anything you say would do more damage than good. The second helpful point is that the schools no longer care about what other scores you received or what order they came in--they only care about the high score, no matter when it was achieved. That's what they report to the ABA, so that is what they use for decision making, and they don't engage in speculation about what happened with other scores.

Thanks!
 leggo7890
|
Dave Killoran wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:39 pm
The second helpful point is that the schools no longer care about what other scores you received or what order they came in--they only care about the high score, no matter when it was achieved. That's what they report to the ABA, so that is what they use for decision making, and they don't engage in speculation about what happened with other scores.

Thanks!

Hi Dave,

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. And your reply was really reassuring to me.

I had heard that lower scores (and multiple takes) after your highest could make admissions officers really question your potential at law school ("Is he really a 158, or a 164, or a 166? Which one is he?") and that could affect admissions chances. Is this true or something to not be so concerned about?

Thank you again.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This is a rumor that traces its history back to how things used to be done. I've addressed it repeatedly on our podcast and on Twitter :) The only time to write an addendum with lower scores is when there is an obvious reason--tech issue, illness, etc--that explains it, and you do that mostly just to check a mental box on the applicant's side.

Thanks!
 leggo7890
|
Hi Dave,

Thank you again for dispelling the rumor :) This admissions process is painful and awful at times, but people like you make this process so much better. Thank you!!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.