LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 gam46@students.uwf.edu
|
Good morning everyone,

After doing some reading (including some from Dave!) I've been thinking more and more that my letters of recommendation should be from those who know me best and can speak to my better qualities. One hiccup in that area, though, is that it is very difficult to decide who knows enough. Is it worth trading up for a better title if the person knows you slightly less thoroughly? My instinct is no, unless that person can also speak to an important quality or diminish a deficiency. What are your thoughts?

Also, on consulting with a faculty member they were of the mindset that at least one professional or volunteer-based LoR should be included. Based on the above principle, though, I am not sure if that is the best route to go. Also, there was some discussion of trying to find a recommender from different departments and/or universities if that was relevant to your transcripts so as to show a wide array of support. Again, though, this seems to run into the same issue. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time,

Gaige.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
gam46@students.uwf.edu wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:22 am Good morning everyone,

After doing some reading (including some from Dave!) I've been thinking more and more that my letters of recommendation should be from those who know me best and can speak to my better qualities. One hiccup in that area, though, is that it is very difficult to decide who knows enough. Is it worth trading up for a better title if the person knows you slightly less thoroughly? My instinct is no, unless that person can also speak to an important quality or diminish a deficiency. What are your thoughts?

Also, on consulting with a faculty member they were of the mindset that at least one professional or volunteer-based LoR should be included. Based on the above principle, though, I am not sure if that is the best route to go. Also, there was some discussion of trying to find a recommender from different departments and/or universities if that was relevant to your transcripts so as to show a wide array of support. Again, though, this seems to run into the same issue. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your time,

Gaige.
Hi Gaige,

Thanks for the post! It's best to select your LOR writers based on how well they know you and how well they can write about all your positive qualities and accomplishments. :-D As Dave and Jon explain in this podcast episode at the 34-minute mark, prestige does not outweigh familiarity.

The same advice applies when selecting the variety of your recommenders' backgrounds. They don't have to be from different departments or places. Variety of course helps to show your well-roundedness, but it's better to have less diverse recommenders but stellar recommendations than it is to have diverse recommenders but average recommendations. And similarly, you don't have to include a professional/volunteer advisor if you don't have someone you are confident about. (The one thing law schools do look for, though, is at least one academic reference.)

So, in this case, your instinct is right! Pick the recommenders who know you best! :)
 gam46@students.uwf.edu
|
Hi Stephanie,

Thank you so much for your response! I had one more fleeting thought on the subject now that I'm actually acting on the issues discussed above. Do you know if letters of recommendation are commended at all for their diversity among people from different backgrounds and walks of life? In some of my research, I have noted that disparities among social groups are quite common at the graduate level, and so I thought it may worth considering reaching out to a similarly close-knit professor who may not be seen as privileged by their background - particularly if they can speak to your drive to influence positive social change within your undergraduate research. Any thoughts on the subject? Is this a reach and/or a misconception of how LoR authors are weighed?

Thanks again for all your help!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Gaige,

The same concept applies here as I mentioned above — it's most important what the recommenders have to say about you. After all admissions committees are reviewing an application about you, not about your recommenders. :-D You may find Dave's Letters of Recommendation Webinar to have further helpful tips to guide you in the right direction in your selections!

Thanks!
 gam46@students.uwf.edu
|
Hi again Stephanie,

I appreciate the link - I'm going to review the video as soon as I get home! I'll be sure to keep everything you've said in mind as I proceed with my final law school application (which is somehow both a comforting and terrifying thought). Have a great week!

All the best,

Gaige.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.