LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 mfhimy
|
Hi Folks,

I'm currently trying to decide my ED strategy. I have a 166 LSAT, and a 3.89 GPA. I'm aware these stats are not great and that all three schools are likely reaches. From Powerscore's predictor, my chances of admissions are highest for USC, then UCLA, then NYU. I personally am happy attending either three schools.

So my question is, should I used ED on the school I have the highest chance for or the lowest chance for? Should I even bother applying to these schools with these stats - especially for the two I don't ED?

Also on a seperate topics, is it worth re taking the LSAT in Jan to raise my score? Will the trade off in submission dater render an increase less helpful. And would I be able to submit now and then update my application again with my new score later or do I have to wait till after my Jan LSAT to submit ( if I retake). Y 166 was down 4/5 points from my last 4 PT avg

Thank you!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi M,

Thanks for the message! First, let me answer the January LSAT question first: YES, it is worth it. Your LSAT score is the most important factor in your application, so you have to do everything you can to max out there :-D We've said this countless times in the past few years, but a higher LSAT score is worth waiting for, zero dispute there among the experts. Note though: even if you submit now, most schools will wait to review your app until the January results come in (which at UCLA and NYU isn't a bad thing since your chances at both aren't fantastic).

Second, your chances at USC aren't actually bad at all--your GPA is near their 75th and your LSAT is above their 25th. You could get in via RD, and ED is a definite possibility. Note: as we've talked about on our podcast, if money is at all an issue, then ED ties your hands there so be careful.

Last, I'd use your ED on USC or UCLA. NYU right now is a remote chance due to your LSAT score (hence my advice to take January), and ED won't make enough of a difference.

Thanks!
 mfhimy
|
Dave Killoran wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:41 pm Hi M,

Thanks for the message! First, let me answer the January LSAT question first: YES, it is worth it. Your LSAT score is the most important factor in your application, so you have to do everything you can to max out there :-D We've said this countless times in the past few years, but a higher LSAT score is worth waiting for, zero dispute there among the experts. Note though: even if you submit now, most schools will wait to review your app until the January results come in (which at UCLA and NYU isn't a bad thing since your chances at both aren't fantastic).

Second, your chances at USC aren't actually bad at all--your GPA is near their 75th and your LSAT is above their 25th. You could get in via RD, and ED is a definite possibility. Note: as we've talked about on our podcast, if money is at all an issue, then ED ties your hands there so be careful.

Last, I'd use your ED on USC or UCLA. NYU right now is a remote chance due to your LSAT score (hence my advice to take January), and ED won't make enough of a difference.

Thanks!
Hi Dave - thanks for the message back, I love your podcasts btw. Only discovered them and your online services a couple days before my LSAT though which was a little unfortunate haha.

Also sorry I got a few follow up questions!

Does your recommendation on January change, if I've already done it twice? I did it once over a year ago (163).

Also regarding app submissions. Will most law schools hold the app until the final score comes in, in January? If so is there any benefit in still submitting my app earlier in the cycle? Or is there any risk, of them rejecting my app on my current scores and not even wait for my Jan scores?

Finally, if I were to get around my PT avg of a 171 in January, coupled with my GPA, and a "late submit" how do you think my chances at NYU stack up? NYU might be slightly higher on my list than USC, so i'm wondering if it would be a good idea to still ED USC, if I have a moderate-okay chance at NYU after January.

Thank you!!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi M,

Regarding your three questions:

1. No, two prior takes is essentially meaningless these days :-D

2. Most will hold, and you can ask them to hold if you are unsure if they will. They may not--depends on school policy--but most will hold.

3. Clearly you'd be more competitive with the higher LSAT score, so that's a known fact. It's not going to be a lock though. Here were their most recent numbers:

• LSAT Score:

75th percentile: 174
    50th percentile: 172
    25th percentile: 170

Undergraduate GPA:

75th percentile: 3.93
    50th percentile: 3.86
    25th percentile: 3.73

Your GPA hits their 50% median, but even with a 171 you would not hit both the 50th medians. On that basis, the plan you mention isn't a bad one at all.

Thanks!
 mfhimy
|
Dave Killoran wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:23 am Hi M,

Regarding your three questions:

1. No, two prior takes is essentially meaningless these days :-D

2. Most will hold, and you can ask them to hold if you are unsure if they will. They may not--depends on school policy--but most will hold.

3. Clearly you'd be more competitive with the higher LSAT score, so that's a known fact. It's not going to be a lock though. Here were their most recent numbers:

• LSAT Score:

75th percentile: 174
    50th percentile: 172
    25th percentile: 170

Undergraduate GPA:

75th percentile: 3.93
    50th percentile: 3.86
    25th percentile: 3.73

Your GPA hits their 50% median, but even with a 171 you would not hit both the 50th medians. On that basis, the plan you mention isn't a bad one at all.
Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.