LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 samanthasessler
|
I've seen in Webinars and other places that writing a personal statement with the theme "I've always wanted to be a lawyer/go to law school" is not a good idea. However, I want to ask if it would still be a bad idea if you tell a story about the evolution of what you like about the law, and why you want to go. If a compelling story follows, is it a good idea? I just have no idea!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
samanthasessler wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:14 pm I've seen in Webinars and other places that writing a personal statement with the theme "I've always wanted to be a lawyer/go to law school" is not a good idea. However, I want to ask if it would still be a bad idea if you tell a story about the evolution of what you like about the law, and why you want to go. If a compelling story follows, is it a good idea? I just have no idea!
Hi Samantha,

Thanks for the post, and great question! The short answer is, it depends. :-D

As you noted, usually those types of essays are cliché and similar to one another, which is primarily why they are advised against. But if you have a compelling story to write about this topic, if you present it well, and if it's a unique take on an otherwise overused topic, then yes, go for it! :)

Mike Spivey of Spivey Consulting actually just did a podcast with Dean Sarah Zearfoss of Michigan Law, and they touched on this very topic: https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/dean-z-interview/. They discuss this at around the 18-minute mark (there's also a transcript of the discussion at the bottom).

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.