LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Dustin Batchelor
|
I am applying to several law schools counting on a 170-172 lsat to counter my 3.35 GPA. Vanderbilt is my dream school, and they have a high 75th lsat of 168. I'm hoping that by being a couple points above that it will help me out.

I have a legitimately strong GPA addendum, and with straight A's this semester can have a 3.4 but would need to apply in late December or January. Vanderbilt offers personal interviews and I know that would help me greatly, but I would need to have my application in by November, which is before the semester ends to raise my GPA.

With an addendum, is a 3.4 THAT much better than a 3.35 for my admissions odds or do I cut bait on GPA and use the interview opportunity?

Thanks for everything you guys do,
-Dustin
 evelineliu
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Dustin,

A personal interview with an alum would be a great opportunity to express that Vanderbilt is a top choice and to learn more about the law school from someone who attended. A 3.35 and 3.40 are pretty similar, and they live in the same ballpark of the 25th/50th/75th numbers for Vanderbilt's GPA. You could choose to submit your app by the November 15th deadline to get an alumni interview, and then update Vanderbilt with your new GPA after your grades from this semester are posted.

Opting into the interview means the interviewer will write up a brief report about you after, so that could be a chance to give yourself another avenue to present yourself in a positive light for the admissions office.

Best,
Eveline

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.