LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 AnnTravis46
|
As I was filling out my ethnicity info, I was pleasantly surprised to see Canadian Indigenous Non-Status represented (aka those who lost status and don’t have a tribe # due to various reasons throughout history)

I’m caucasian and 1/8 Native Canadian (great-great-grandparents on both sides) but I’ve always checked “caucasian” for ethnicity on forms because I’ve never seen “Canadian Indigenous” or “Non-Status” as options until now and I would essentially round up to caucasian for convenience when doing tedious paperwork. Also, I used to think that if you didn’t have a tribe # then you couldn’t check the box, but I guess a non-status option changes that? I’ve never personally identified as 100% white and I make an effort to maintain and learn about my native cultures. I’d like to check both Caucasian and Canadian Indigenous n-s but I don’t want law schools or the ABA to red flag me for paperwork inconsistencies or suspected dishonesty. So my questions are:

1) is there a heritage fraction requirement for LSAC or ABA? I've done some research into this but haven’t found anything

2) if I include Canadian Indigenous n-s on my CAS and CRS will the ABA flag me (now or when applying for the bar exam in the future) since I haven’t included it on other paperwork that didn’t give me this option (DMV, FAFSA, Passports, etc.)

*side note: I’m a naturalized US citizen so this is in regards to US schools, not Canadian
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ann,

A few quick thoughts for you:

1. No, there is not. You are what you say you are :)

2. No, it doesn't work like that and people change how they represent frequently.

Thanks!
 AnnTravis46
|
Dave Killoran wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:26 pm Hi Ann,

A few quick thoughts for you:

1. No, there is not. You are what you say you are :)

2. No, it doesn't work like that and people change how they represent frequently.

Thanks!
Sweet and simple! Thank you so much!

For clarification: this wouldn't count as URM since Native Canadian isn't the same as Native American, correct?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.