LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 pklopfen
|
Hi Powerscore!

I recently listened to your podcast on addenda and unfortunately my situation didn't come up so I thought I'd post here.

I am applying to law school at 37 years old. I have been working in a field that I would say is probably not common to most law school applicants (Film & Television production) as a Director of Photography. My "resume" as it were is a long list of show and project credits as I have been freelance my entire career. Not necessarily work experience that has an obvious applications in the law world.

When I was in college I switched majors between photography, film production, journalism, English, and finally ended up with a degree in Communications because it was the degree that accepted the most of my diverse credits (I had also gone to a different University for my freshman year, and ended up transferring to my instate school to save money on tuition). Also towards the end of my college career I had not given the effort that I should have as I became aware how little a degree or GPA mattered in the field I was going into. I recently got my transcripts back and realized I ended up graduating with a 3.1. This is a major regret and looking back I feel like my immature attitude towards school and lack of foresight in how this could affect my future prospects could seriously hamper my ability to get into law school. School came easy to me when I was young and my freshman and sophomore grades were all As and Bs. It wasn't until later in my college that I started being more lackadaisical and let my grades slip. I know I am capable at excelling in law school and am currently testing in the mid 160 range on my PT's (I am taking the LSAT in Aug 2021 and hope to keep studying and get to 170 by Nov).

SOOO, do you think I should write an addendum explaining my youthful naïveté and hopefully use a high LSAT score to prove that I am capable of hard-work and growth? Also, do you think that there is a better way to frame my low GPA besides saying "well I was just a young dumb kid but have grown up a lot in the last 15 years?" I feel that an explanation is needed but am nervous to frame it as youthful stupidity as it may reflect badly.

Thank you in advance for any help and thank you for the insight through your books and podcasts!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Easy answer here: yes, write it. Even above your explanation is coming across as compelling, and it's clear that you've matured since then. And admissions officers know this type of thing happened to many people, so addressing it head on as an explanation and not an excuse allows them to check that box and move on. Explain it as a mistake you regret, and one that you look forward to correcting in law school . Being honest and direct goes a long way here, and will lend your addendum with the sheen of credibility :-D

Your work history in a non-traditional field is all a plus here, by the way.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.