LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Noahxwalt6
|
Hello!

I just received my LSAT-Flex scores from the April exam and I did not do as well as I had hoped. I got a 157, it could always be worse but I just feel like I could do better. I studied very hard for about 5 months but I never actually paid for any hands-on classes or tutoring or anything so I am thinking maybe my self-study plan was not as effective as I previously thought. My plan was to apply this coming fall to try and get an acceptance straight out of college but now that my score is not where I want it to be at I am considering taking a gap year, working in a law firm for that year, and perhaps paying for high-quality tutoring/class services that I feel could help me increase my score? I am considering this route because I have worked really hard to get a high GPA (3.97) to be competitive when applying to top schools. With a 157 it would be kind of silly to apply to some of the schools I had in mind as this is so far below their median scores.

I guess overall what I am asking is should I still apply in the fall but just to schools that are much lower on my list that I have a better chance at with this current score, or should I take the chance and do a full gap year of working and preparation in order to try and improve my score so it matches my GPA more and I am not so much of a splitter?

Also, I know that many people are suggesting taking the June test because it is the last flex but I simply do not think I will be able to improve my score much in such a short amount of time and I am comfortable waiting and taking a test with an extra section if that is the route I ultimately choose.

Thank you to everyone at the PowerScore team! The Logic Games Bible and all of your podcasts have helped me tremendously in the way I think about law school and the LSAT and I love reading through these forums for advice!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Noah,

Thanks for the message! A few thoughts here for you:

• If you can't get that score where you want it by June, don't take June! End of story there. Take the LSAT that gives you the best shot of doing well :-D

If the 157 gives you no shot at the schools you want, I don't see why you'd apply this fall! Better to wait until you have an LSAT score that gives you a real chance at schools you want and that match your GPA.

the gap year is just fine, as long as you put it to good use. Working at a law firm definitely qualifies as good use to the adcomms, so if you have that in your pocket, I see no reason to not take the time off, get great work experience for your resume, and use that time to improve your LSAT score. A win all around imho!
I think that covers the main points, but as you can see I'd say a gap year is totally reasonable here since it's really a law firm work year. If I missed anything, please let me know!

Thanks!
 Noahxwalt6
|
Thank you so much for your quick reply and advice! I will most likely look to take a gap year and put it to good use hopefully getting some work experience and working towards getting my LSAT at a good enough score to feel good about applying to schools that I am excited about. Thank you for all that you guys do here it is all super helpful and the amount of info you give out for free is so nice and helpful!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.