LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 oychoi
|
Hi Team,

As it stands, I have a fair number of denials this cycle and a few waitlists that I will possibly ride out through the summer. Due to the rough nature of this cycle, I am potentially considering reapplying next cycle.

My stats are 3-mid GPA, 166 LSAT, and 4+years WE. I applied all in February because I had to retake the January LSAT. I had two glowing recs from former bosses (been out of school for a while) that I have now used for 2 consecutive cycles. I also used the same reason/idea for why I am applying to law school for 2 consecutive cycles (same idea but completely rewritten). I had several people review my essays and tell me I had a strong and compelling reason to study law so I don't think my essays were the issue.

I know there is still ample room for improvement in terms of LSAT score, the timing of application, and so forth. I am just wary of having used all my "good stuff" 2 times - my glowing recs and essays. I would have liked to use those same recs and essays once more but am wary of how schools would perceive that. The essays would again be rewritten but the recs would not.

If I do consider reapplying next cycle when it opens in September, what can I do to best position myself to attain my goals - getting into Top 20 schools with possible scholarships?

Thank you!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Oychoi,

Thanks for the message! Let's talk about a few things that might help you figure this out:

Next cycle: What I'm seeing right now is a ton of people opting out of this cycle into next year's cycle, which means every day it's getting more competitive for next year. I don't think it will be quite as bad as this year, but it's still going to more competitive than last year by quite a bit from the looks of it.

Reusing Recs: I think you are okay here. Adcomms know how hard it is to obtain recs to begin with, and asking for rewrites is just unfair to the recommenders. If they are good, then use them again :-D

Essays: As long as the people giving you opinions are admissions professionals of some sort (and not lawyers, friends, parents), then this sounds good. Regrettably, the average friend or lawyer has no real idea what adcomms want in an essay, so I'm very wary when someone tells me they passed it around and got positive feedback.

Overall, if you could grab a few more points on the LSAT and apply at the start of the cycle when the window opens, I think you'd see better results!

Please let me know if that helps!
 oychoi
|
Dave Killoran wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:33 pm Hi Oychoi,

Thanks for the message! Let's talk about a few things that might help you figure this out:

Next cycle: What I'm seeing right now is a ton of people opting out of this cycle into next year's cycle, which means every day it's getting more competitive for next year. I don't think it will be quite as bad as this year, but it's still going to more competitive than last year by quite a bit from the looks of it.

Reusing Recs: I think you are okay here. Adcomms know how hard it is to obtain recs to begin with, and asking for rewrites is just unfair to the recommenders. If they are good, then use them again :-D

Essays: As long as the people giving you opinions are admissions professionals of some sort (and not lawyers, friends, parents), then this sounds good. Regrettably, the average friend or lawyer has no real idea what adcomms want in an essay, so I'm very wary when someone tells me they passed it around and got positive feedback.

Overall, if you could grab a few more points on the LSAT and apply at the start of the cycle when the window opens, I think you'd see better results!

Please let me know if that helps!
Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply!

My only concern is this - if I take the LSAT again, it would be my 5th time. I am concerned that law schools will be wary of so many takes. The takes were necessary as my scores were simply not high enough for my target schools. I suppose the good thing is that my takes have been spread out over a 2-years period (starting 07/2019 to present) and have been CANCEL, 158, 162, and 166.

I have heard that 2-3 times is fine but past 4 may be pushing it. What do you think about that?

Thank you again!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Fwiw, I've had people with 7 and 9 takes get into T14 schools this cycle :-D So even under the highest levels competition seen in decades, higher scores won out over the number of takes. Do I want you to take it 6-7 times? No, but if you can pull a higher score with your 5th try it's very likely worth it.

Thanks!
 oychoi
|
Dave Killoran wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:00 pm Fwiw, I've had people with 7 and 9 takes get into T14 schools this cycle :-D So even under the highest levels competition seen in decades, higher scores won out over the number of takes. Do I want you to take it 6-7 times? No, but if you can pull a higher score with your 5th try it's very likely worth it.

Thanks!
Thank you so much David for all your help! That really encourages me. If I do go down the path of reapplying, I will keep this in mind. A higher score will always be worth it in the end. :) :) :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.