LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 lemonicewaterfall
|
Hello!

I was wondering if someone could provide me some guidance on seat deposit etiquette. I'm deciding between school X and Y (both in the top 30). I am also considering a third school, but they don't really play a role in this situation. In a normal year, data shows that I might have received a full-tuition scholarship from school X, which has a deposit deadline of April 1. I received a scholarship from school Y, which is my top choice. Still, it is unlikely I can attend school Y at its current COA. School Y has a deposit deadline of April 15. I am currently on a scholarship waitlist for school X, which does not have a scholarship offer for me at the time.

Basically, my main question is, Is it okay to deposit at a school (X) on April 1, without withdrawing my acceptance from school Y (and potentially 1-2 other schools)? School Y is my top choice, but I would heavily consider a scholarship from school X (where I'm right at the LSAT median and way above the 75th percentile for GPA). I could also see if school Y would be open to a scholarship reconsideration if school X were to give me a scholarship after or right before the April 1 deposit deadline.

Additionally, would school Y know if I deposited at school X? I don't plan on depositing at both at the same time and would withdraw my candidacy from school X if I deposit at school Y on April 15. I am not an early-decision candidate at any school.

Thank you so so so much for any help. I am not seeing any clear rules on what I can and can't do in this situation.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lemon,

There is good news all-around for you on this front! So, let's look at your specific questions:

lemonicewaterfall wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:43 pmBasically, my main question is, Is it okay to deposit at a school (X) on April 1, without withdrawing my acceptance from school Y (and potentially 1-2 other schools)?
Yes, this is fine! You can actually deposit at multiple schools as well, known as Double Depositing. Double-depositing at schools is not uncommon, and there are no ethical or other concerns with it. That strategy buys time to ultimately choose the best offer, although you will lose the deposit at the school he does not choose (I think of it as a small sacrifice in service of a larger gain). you aren't even at this point yet, and so putting in one deposit is just fine(as long as the school doesn't have language saying that making a deposit requires you to withdraw all other apps, which is unlikely for a regular acceptance).

lemonicewaterfall wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:43 pmAdditionally, would school Y know if I deposited at school X? I don't plan on depositing at both at the same time and would withdraw my candidacy from school X if I deposit at school Y on April 15. I am not an early-decision candidate at any school.
No. Schools do not get depositing info from LSAC until mid-May or so, and even if you hadn’t made a decision by then (unlikely), there would be no repercussions.

I hope that helps. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.