LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 jmac1895
|
I was waitlisted at several T-14 schools (UVA and Gtown) and was wondering if anyone had advice on how to maximize the potential to get off the waitlist.

I submitted a LOCI to both schools and plan to follow up again around the deposit deadline with another correspondence, but is there anything else I can do? I read that a campus tour/visit can be very helpful, but with COVID it seems that avenue isn't currently available.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
jmac1895 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:46 pm I was waitlisted at several T-14 schools (UVA and Gtown) and was wondering if anyone had advice on how to maximize the potential to get off the waitlist.

I submitted a LOCI to both schools and plan to follow up again around the deposit deadline with another correspondence, but is there anything else I can do? I read that a campus tour/visit can be very helpful, but with COVID it seems that avenue isn't currently available.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Hi Jmac,

Congrats on getting onto the WL at both schools! Hopefully you've grabbed some solid acceptances at a few other schools as well.

The key thing you did here was to send a LOCI to each school already. That let them know you were still interested. Normally, I'd say that's enough, but this cycle is showing us something different. If you've carefully followed some of the things Dean Cornblatt has said (and to a lesser extent Dean Blazer), they've been very clear about wanting to know that their school is your top choice. It's a product of this crazy cycle of course, but it's put every law school into an uncertain and precarious position. So, after a month or so form your last LOCI, I'd follow up with another short note that the school remains top of your list. And, in the meantime, work your ass off to try to add some additional positive development you can add to that note—higher LSAT score, higher grades, promotion, new job, whatever. And, whenever you talk to the admissions offices, be friendly, pleasant, and grateful; they take notes, and the fastest way to get rejected is to be a jerk (not that you were going to be! This is just general advice for anyone else reading :-D )

Thanks!
 kwcflynn
|
Hi Dave,

This advice is exactly what I was looking for the school(s) mentioned above. I have additional follow up questions:
1. Is it a good idea to hand write the LOCI and scan that as an attachment?
2. I worked for someone who went there and had a good relationship with them. I didn't ask them to write me a LOR for this particular reason. Should I ask them to write a specific LOR?

Thank you!!

Kevin
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks Kevin, glad I could help! for your other two questions:

1. No, actually. It's harder to read, so I'd go typed.
2. You certainly could request they write directly to the school. It's been done before and never hurts :-D

Thanks!
 kwcflynn
|
Thanks so much, Dave!

One last question: Should I confirm with Georgetown that it's okay to send an additional letter of recommendation? I wouldn't want to step on their toes. In the application, they accept 4 letters maximum and I've only sent 3.

Just confirming here. You know the process better than me.

Thank you!
 kwcflynn
|
Thank you very much, Dave.

One last question, I SWEAR :-D
Should the letters (my LOCI and my recommender's LOR) be sent to the general admissions email or the waitlist email? I wouldn't want to overload their waitlist email but this is for waitlist purposes. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even matter and I'm just overthinking it.

Thank you!!
 kwcflynn
|
Hi Dave,

I am still on the UVA waitlist, but part of me thinks that re-applying will be necessary. The main worry I have about re-applying is that I wrote the best personal statement and diversity statement I could've possibly written (at least at the time I wrote them). I think where I went wrong this cycle was applying late.

I also had strong letters of recommendation from people who really knew me well. However, I have extra ones, but I didn't submit them because they weren't as strong. Do you think I can use those? I'm currently not at the job where I was able to request those letters of recommendation.

Basically, I am asking how to submit another "best possible" application when I already did that. I initially thought it was a different personal statement, diversity statement, or addenda. I already have my final transcript and took the LSAT.

Let me know any thoughts you have.

Thank you!!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey K,

This is a tough question but one I suspect we'll see a lot of this year. A few thoughts that might help here:

* Reusing recs is acceptable. Everyone knows how hard they are to get, so you don't need new ones. And you can add one of the ones you didn't use before if you desire--it can't hurt.

* The best way to improve your app is to do something new and notable between now and when you submit your apps. I know it's a big ask, but if you already submitted the best you could, the only way to improve is to add something new.

* You will need a new PS and likely an altered DS, but not necessarily new addenda.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.