LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 gmsanch3
|
Hello, I need some help understanding a few things about my score, retaking LSAT, if I should get tutoring...

I took the feb LSAT and scored a 152. I have a 3.0 undergrad GPA. For the school I was hoping to get into, that’s in the 75th percentile, however i know I could have scored at least 5 points higher because I bombed a game. I panicked which I tend to do A LOT when I get nervous. The games were the first section so it really ruined the test for me altogether. Anyway, I was hoping for a 156, but I hadn’t been consistently scoring in that range. I really feel I have room to improve to get a 156/157 because I really want to get as much help with tuition.
Should I get a tutor and study and retake in June? Or am I likely to get scholarships considering that for this particular school my score is in the 75th percentile? I’m lost, I can’t wrap my head around studying for this again because I took it in 2017 and did horribly then retook this feb after a year of self study and improved by 13 points. I just need someone who knows more about this who can help me understand if it’s worth it to retake or if my score should get me scholarships?
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Great questions! Scholarships are always a bit tricky to predict, and never more so than this year given how competitive the cycle is, so I won't go so far as to say that you'll definitely get one even with a 75th percentile LSAT score. I think the GPA could also be a bit of a hindrance, as I'm guessing it's probably on the lower end for that school and could factor (negatively) into both admissions and financial aid.

What I can say though is that I think you make a very compelling case for a tutor and a retake! You've mentioned a number of factors that are strong indicators of just how helpful a tutor could be, from the slight splitter status with a 3.0 and the need for an LSAT score to offset that, to the big gains in score you've already demonstrated—suggests you've got an even higher potential, as does the gap between the official 152 and your PTs—to the uncertainty over precisely what to do next with your prep, as that's exactly what a tutor will assist you with! So I think all signs point to some extra help and a retake in June. Even if you were offered a scholarship as you currently stand, another several points—which again feel entirely achievable with the right help!—could add tens of thousands of dollars to what the school's willing to offer, so this feels like a clear case where some tutoring time would be an excellent investment.
 gmsanch3
|
thank you that was super helpful. i am definitely considering a tutor. thanks again!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.