LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Johnny21
|
Hi everyone,

It's early in the application window, but I have two attractive offers so far– 25% tuition discount at a T20 (COA would be in excess of 180k after 3 years) and a full-tuition scholarship at a T30. Total COA there is less than 50k, since my parents will help with cost of living.

This subject has been talked to death, I know, but is it wise to take the T30 over the T20? It's in the state where I want to practice, and I don't want biglaw/federal clerkships (let me clarify– I'd be happy with a job like that, but it's not the end of the world if I don't get it. The kind of legal practice I'm interested in doesn't revolve around biglaw). On the other hand, law school prestige is heavily emphasized on online fora, and a lot of people have told me that the extra cost of a T20 or a T14 is worth it in the long run. Maybe they're right, and I'd be limiting myself if I don't take the more 'prestigious' option. I've read a lot of forum posts by T14 students who are saying that they "don't mind" the sticker debt because it gives them a better chance at finding prestigious jobs, but frankly, I'd be scared taking on that kind of liability– non-dischargeable debt in the hundreds of thousands. But again, maybe it's worth the price in the long run.

What's your opinion on this? I'd like to hear what you think!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the question! Can you possibly specify the exact total COA for each school? It looks like something over $180K vs something under $50K, but I'd like more exact numbers if possible.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.