LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 Zarie Blackburn
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
We recently received the following question from a student. An LSAT Expert will respond below. Thanks!
I wanted to reach out about a question regarding writing an addendum for law school LSAT scores. While my practice tests were in the low 170s, I scored a 166 on both the August and October 2020 LSATs. In addition to having high test anxiety, I also faced technical issues/connectivity problems which disrupted my concentration during both administrations. I am a diligent 4.0 (4.21 on LSAC's converted scale) student with an impressive resume, having had internships and work experience throughout undergrad. Would you recommend writing an addendum explaining this situation? Perhaps detailing why, despite continued studying, my score remained the same across both administrations? For context, I intend to apply to some T-14 schools including UVA , Penn, and Georgetown (in addition to safe schools of course). I am also determined to apply this fall, so I do not think I will wait to retest in January. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi!

I wouldn't recommend an addendum in this situation. Test anxiety and technical issues with the Flex are pretty common for everyone and test-takers frequently score below their practice test scores for a variety of reasons. If your technical issues were so glaring that you reported them to LSAC, LSAC probably offered to make a note of it on your score report and this would be sufficient for informing law schools about the issues. But for an addendum, you need to have a more compelling reason as to why your score was not as high as you think it could be.

Here's a blog post that discusses addenda in more depth: https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/whats- ... h-addenda/

That said, a 166 is still a high score that should open the door to lots of schools! Be sure to write a stellar personal statement and don't be afraid to apply to some schools with median LSAT scores above yours (it's always best to apply to a mix of schools!). If you think you can score higher on the test you also might consider retaking the test again in early 2021 in case you get waitlisted at a dream school--a higher score can often be the boost you need to get off that waitlist!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Best,
Kelsey
 sheenpatel2
|
Kelsey,

Thank you so much for your prompt response! This makes sense, and I was thinking along the same lines - I appreciate the confirmation.

I was also considering the January 2021 LSAT, so I will definitely keep that in mind as I move forward.

Thanks again!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.