LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 amacdonald2121
|
Hi! I was just wondering if you guys had any insight into how law schools perceive people applying with LSAT scores that are 3 or 4 years old. I have not taken my LSAT yet but I am in August and I weighing my options about when I am actually going to apply to law school. Some background... I have take about 2 years off from school because I burnt myself out in undergrad and I knew that I was not going to be able to perform in law school. I am now ready to go to law school but I am also interested in taking some more time off to join the Peace Corps and have a cool experience before I go. I would want to take the LSAT before I went just so that I could come home and immediately apply. I am ready to go to law school now but I think joining the Peace Corps would be a great experience and something that would make me stand out as a candidate for law school. I know LSAT scores are good for five years but I just wanted some feedback over whether this is a good plan or if I should stick to my original plan of applying for law school in the fall! Thank you!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi amacdonald2121,

Your plan sounds great! LSAT scores are good for five years, and there's no real disadvantage to using a score that's a few years old. That's even more true if you use those years to do something unique and productive. Ultimately, your goal for scheduling the LSAT should be to find a time where you can perform your best, and where you will be applying within the five-year time frame.

The other potential concern about applying a few years after your undergrad degree is that you might have some trouble obtaining academic letters of recommendation. I recommend getting those letters prior to finishing school so that your recommenders have you fresh in their minds, and can write a detailed letter for you. Getting those letters in advance will be helpful for you to hit the ground running when you return.

Good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.