LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 jdeweeee
|
I'm looking for advice on a fairly specific situation that I haven't been able to find answers for. Certain schools in the T14 (only NYU in the T6, I think) require both GRE and LSAT scores to be submitted if the applicant has both. I have old GRE scores on file from 4 years ago -- 170 Verbal, 160 Quantitative. The quant score looks pretty bad, I think, and it's a far cry from my LSAT score (>175). I am wondering: should I write an addendum addressing this? I know such addenda are sometimes recommended for large gaps between multiple LSAT scores, but I've not seen anyone with my situation.

(The reason for the low Quant score is not glamorous -- I was thinking about grad school, and US institutions required a GRE; there was only one test date before application deadlines, so I took the GRE without having studied sufficiently; I panicked during the sitting and didn't complete the Quant section, but didn't want to cancel the score, because otherwise I couldn't apply at all, and the programs in question were not quantitatively focused in any case.)
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm not sure what you mean about those scores being not good, jdeweeee. A 170 is perfect on the GRE Verbal, and a 160 is still excellent! Don't compare the LSAT scoring scale (120-180) to the GRE scale (130-170 per section). You're in great shape! Also, when you have both, you may have to submit both, but the LSAT score is the one that truly matters and that GRE score will not even be reported in any way that will affect their rankings, so it's going to be close to a complete non-factor in their decision. But to the extent that they care, that score is not a negative.

I would not write an addendum to say you didn't study enough - that's a bad look, and that would do more harm than good! I think you're better off just submitting the numbers and saying nothing more about it. Let the rest of your application, especially your LSAT score, do the talking.

Good luck!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.