LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 QueensULawHopefully
|
I’m scared I won’t be admitted if I write about a valued topic in my personal statement because it’s Texas. My dream school is religious in the heart of Txas, and I’m scared they’ll be against if I write about a close family member’s change in gender identity/sexual orientation….

Could they deny me if they don’t feel the same way??(( I just feel like this is my best way to talk about how I adapted/grew as a person/how this will help my journey into law school. I know they have an inclusivity policy but what if the council is just against me because I write about that?????? I just don’t want to write about a boring topic… I’m font from Texas so it is widely accepted where I’m from, I’m just worried about Texas’ view on it..

Thanks,
Kai
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Usually, law school personnel are trained to avoid bias like this, and indeed welcome views from all backgrounds. I've seen people apply to top schools and write about atheism, abortion, drugs, gun rights, etc and get accepted.

However, how overt is the school's religious affiliation? To use BYU as an example, if you were to write on certain topics they would take the values of their community into account and it could have an affect on their decision. But they are crystal clear about who they are and how they operate, so it's buyer beware as far as applying and, say, claiming you 100% pro-choice and plan to be an activist on that topic in their community. So look at your school and make a judgment on that basis.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.