LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ikim10
|
Can someone explain why (A) is correct and (C) is not?
 Paul Popa
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sure thing, Kim! The overall structure of this passage can be described as follows: in the first two paragraphs, two major criticisms of Victorian philosophy are described: firstly, that it was obsolete, and secondly, that it was actually self-serving at the expense of those they were claiming to serve. The last two paragraphs show the author rebuking these claims. (A) seems like a good fit: two related positions are discussed (Victorian philosophy was obsolete and self-serving), then both are subjected to the same criticism (by the author).

(C) gets things backwards. We actually get two positions and one evaluation, not the other way around, so (A) is correct. Hope this helps!
 zoezoe6021
|
Hello,

I could not find an answer for #26, and I think I misinterpreted the passage structure.

For me,

Paragraph #1: Criticism 1 = Private philanthropy in Victorian society was obsolete since it could not solve real social problems as state-sponsored charities.

Paragraph #2: Criticism 2 = Victorian philanthropy was a self-serving exercise.

Paragraph #3: Refute criticism 1 by saying we should not compare Victorian philanthropy to state-sponsored welfare at that time since the latter is a developed version of the former. People chose private philanthropy merely because the state was incapable of coping with social needs.

Paragraph #4: Refute criticism 2 by saying Victorian philanthropists did help the poor, even though philanthropy is not the sole purpose.

:longline:
Based on the structure above, I think the correct answer would be "two related positions are discussed, and then each is subjected to criticism"

Could you plz tell me where I got it wrong? Thank you.
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi zoezoe6021!

Based on your summarization of what you believe the correct answer should be, it sounds like you have the right answer for this question!

You comment,

I think the correct answer would be "two related positions are discussed, and then each is subjected to criticism"
That summary is almost exactly the same as answer choice (A), which is the correct answer. That answer choice states, "Two related positions are discussed, then both are subjected to the same criticism." As you can see, the only difference is that answer choice (A) refers to them being subject to the "same" criticism.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.