LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

LSATer
|
I am having a hard time understanding why A is not correct and why D is the right answer.

Answer choice D is supported by the first criticism in the first paragraph. The second criticism discusses the self-serving exercise carried out by the philanthropists. So I don't see how D can be right. How do "both criticisms suggest that government was necessary to cure social ills?"

Thanks in advance for the help.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think you'll find support for Answer D in this quote, beginning at line 35:
Modern critics of Victorian philanthropy often use the words "amateurish" or "inadequate" to describe Victorian philanthropy, as though Victorian charity can only be understood as an antecedent to the era of state- sponsored, professionally administered charity.
Thus, both modern criticisms acknowledge that philanthropy was not up to the task of fixing the social ills, whether because it was too little or not properly directed at those solutions.

Answer A talks about both criticisms involving "dishonorable motives", and while that might be true of the second criticism (I'm not sure if "self-serving" is the same as "dishonorable", but maybe), the first criticism says nothing about such motives. Rather, it was perhaps well-meaning, just inadequate.

I hope that helps, LSATer!
 LSATer
|
Thank you, Adam!
 sw51
|
I got the answer correct, but I don't get your explanation. The quote you point to does not establish that those terms are used by holders of the second criticism. Let's say there are 10 critics of which 5 subscribe to the first criticism (and thus use the terms like "amateurish" and "inadequate") and 5 subscribe to the second criticism (they may use terms like "self-interested" or "scheming"). One could still certainly say that "amateurish" and "inadequate" are often used by critics even if its only that first group of 5 critics who use those terms. Therefore, we can't ascribe the view that 'government is necessary' to the latter group of critics.

Am I wrong or is this just a case of it being the best answer of the set?
Adam Tyson wrote:I think you'll find support for Answer D in this quote, beginning at line 35:
Modern critics of Victorian philanthropy often use the words "amateurish" or "inadequate" to describe Victorian philanthropy, as though Victorian charity can only be understood as an antecedent to the era of state- sponsored, professionally administered charity.
Thus, both modern criticisms acknowledge that philanthropy was not up to the task of fixing the social ills, whether because it was too little or not properly directed at those solutions.

Answer A talks about both criticisms involving "dishonorable motives", and while that might be true of the second criticism (I'm not sure if "self-serving" is the same as "dishonorable", but maybe), the first criticism says nothing about such motives. Rather, it was perhaps well-meaning, just inadequate.

I hope that helps, LSATer!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The original question in this thread was only asking for support that the second of the two modern criticisms included a belief that government was needed, and the quote I shared was in support of that. The first modern criticism is this one found at the beginning of the passage:
The earlier criticism is that such philanthropy was even by the later nineteenth century obsolete, since industrialism had already created social problems that were beyond the scope of small, private voluntary efforts.
Thus both the earlier modern criticism and the later one are shown to include the idea that the volunteer efforts were inadequate, and the State needed to get involved.

It's not about comparing the two arguments made by the more modern group, but comparing the earlier group (which our author still refers to as modern) to the later one (which includes the folks making claims of amateurishness and inadequacy).

I hope that clears it up!
 lilmissunshine
|
Hi Adam,

Could you explain why the third paragraph (or at least line 35-39) refers to the second modern criticism? I thought it might refer to both modern criticisms, since the author does not specify.
Adam Tyson wrote:The original question in this thread was only asking for support that the second of the two modern criticisms included a belief that government was needed, and the quote I shared was in support of that.
Many thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think it DOES refer to both the earlier and the later groups of critics, lilmissunshine! The original poster didn't see support for the second group feeling that way, so I pointed that out as applying to both groups. Sorry if it seemed I was implying that it only applied to one of them!
 LSAT4Life
|
I think Adam's explanation is really help here but I'm a little confused on what the two criticisms are. Paragraph #1 mentions that there are 2 criticisms.

I thought the two criticisms are :
  • #1: "the earlier criticism" that philanthropy was obsolete (in para 1)
    #2: the "more recent" criticism that the Victorian philanthropy is self serving (in para 2)
I thought the views of the "modern critics" in para 3 is separate from para 2 so I didn't think (D) is correct.
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT4Life,

You are correct in your assertion of the two major criticisms. They are as you state them to be, found in the locations stated as well. And the first criticism implies the need for government involvement via lines 9-10 ("created social problems that were beyond the scope of small, private voluntary efforts."). Support for answer choice D via second criticism, which does extend to the third paragraph, and which incorporates the "modern" critique at large, in my reading, comes in lines 35-39.

Let me know if you have further questions on this.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.