LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

LetsGetThis180
|
I picked B because the first paragraph was talking about how profits are derived from various technological developments which lead to the point how these developments have served overall as a "remarkable democratizing force." I'm just a little confused how the correct answer is A.

Thank you!
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LetsGetThis180,
We can largely narrow the focus to the specific sentence that contains the word 'democratizing' and then deconstruct it to help us to find the meaning. First, notice that this is a "But" sentence that is comparing 2 different things. The first part of the sentence talks about the profits that only a few of the technology makers are getting. But the second part of the sentence wouldn't really make sense if we were still talking about the makers; profits that only benefit a few makers do not clearly explain why it would be democratizing. Instead we need to look at the users of the technology to see how the spread of the new technology to groups that were shut out before is democratizing.

Answer B seems to focus on the makers, stating that they would get more opportunities to make new things, but again, if that was going to continue to result in profits for a small group of makers it doesn't seem to fit with the concept of democratizing.

Answer A focuses on the users, by showing that there is going to be a distribution of the technology that the makers created.
Hope that helps!
-Malila
 LetsGetThis180
|
That was very helpful! Thank you! :)
 snowy
|
Hi! I did answer A, but why is E wrong? Isn't part of what is argued that the increased accessibility lessens the class gaps?

Thank you!!
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi snowy!

In this one I really like the phrasing of the correct response in A, in that I can hold a book but I can't exactly hold the ability to read or physically touch the opportunity to binge-watch the entire series of The Office for the umpteenth time.

The issue that I have with E is that it seems a pretty big stretch to jump into the idea that giving the public increased literacy, access to databases and home entertainment as well as email capabilities is consistent with evening out a sense of 'generally acknowledged social status.'

Its true that this passage discusses these innovations having brought together the haves and have-nots, but I think it's a far better answer to describe these tech developments as having done so through the distribution of tangible/intangible goods more than as a generally accepted social caste convergence.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.