LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

gavelgirl
|
Hello,

I was able to eliminate answer choice D and E immediately because I knew where in the passage this question was referring to. However, it took me a long time to decipher between A, B, and C. In the end I chose incorrectly, and still do not see the differences in these three answer choices. Are B and C incorrect because it uses the term "later"?

Please help. Thanks!
 Frank Peter
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi GavelGirl,

I would say the problem with (B) is that there doesn't seem to be any content in the passage suggesting that his critique was against commercial art (instead, he incorporated some techniques from commercial art into his paintings). With (C), the problem seems to be that Lichtenstein wasn't more critical of one period of abstract expressionism vs. another.

We can find the content from the passage that confirms (A) as the right answer starting at about line 44:
Lichtenstein's work exuded not a jaded cynicism about
(45) consumer culture, but a kind of deliberate naivete,
intended as a response to the excess of sophistication
he observed not only in the later abstract expressionists
but in some other pop artists.
 LSAT4Life
|
I picked (C) and wanted to confirm my understanding now that I'm reviewing why I missed it. I think (C) is almost the opposite of what the passage is saying. In lines 29-31, I think it's saying that Lichenstein is rebelling against the fading emotion power (which came from later abstract art) than abstract art in general (the passages implies he was ok with the earlier abstract art).
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
L,

That's correct, answer choice (C) is just about opposite, for the reason you said. Good job!

Robert Carroll
 LSAT4Life
|
Thank you!
 ashpine17
|
Does C have things in reverse? I thought L was more against the later form of AE than AE in general...
 ashpine17
|
Since his critique is against the later form of abstract representation, that means there’s no transition to realism right?
 evelineliu
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ash,

Yes, you are right! (C) is the opposite of what the passage is saying.

Best,
Eveline

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.