LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

biskam
|
Confused as to why C isn't correct and D is? I didn't see the author commenting on pop artists' emotional (or lack thereof) work... I only saw the author do so with abstract expressionists.

Thanks!
 Matt Griffiths
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Good question biskam. The evidence for this question is found in the 2nd paragraph. First, in the sentence beginning in line 21: "Pop art painters weren't quarreling with the powerful early abstract expressionist work of the late 1940s but with a second generation of abstract expressionists..." Also, the sentence beginning in line 27 states that "Lichtenstein's work was part of a general rebellion against the fading emotional power of abstract expressionism..." (italics added).

According to the passage, Lichtenstein, as a pop artist himself, had no beef with early abstract expressionists. So answer choice (C), which states that Lichtenstein praised an early abstract expressionist for emotional paintings, doesn't weaken or challenge the author's argument at all. In fact, it strengthens the argument!

Answer choice (D), on the other hand, directly goes against the second sentence I quoted. Lichtenstein was rebelling against "fading emotional power"; in other words, he wanted to bring emotion back into paintings. (See also the sentence in the last paragraph beginning with line 48, which explains that he filled his paintings with "nostalgia" and "sweetness".) So to say that he would criticize another pop artist for producing emotional paintings wouldn't make much sense. Therefore (D) weakens the author's characterization and is the correct answer.

Hope that helps.
 Albertlyu
|
Matt Griffiths wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:23 pm Good question biskam. The evidence for this question is found in the 2nd paragraph. First, in the sentence beginning in line 21: "Pop art painters weren't quarreling with the powerful early abstract expressionist work of the late 1940s but with a second generation of abstract expressionists..." Also, the sentence beginning in line 27 states that "Lichtenstein's work was part of a general rebellion against the fading emotional power of abstract expressionism..." (italics added).

According to the passage, Lichtenstein, as a pop artist himself, had no beef with early abstract expressionists. So answer choice (C), which states that Lichtenstein praised an early abstract expressionist for emotional paintings, doesn't weaken or challenge the author's argument at all. In fact, it strengthens the argument!

Answer choice (D), on the other hand, directly goes against the second sentence I quoted. Lichtenstein was rebelling against "fading emotional power"; in other words, he wanted to bring emotion back into paintings. (See also the sentence in the last paragraph beginning with line 48, which explains that he filled his paintings with "nostalgia" and "sweetness".) So to say that he would criticize another pop artist for producing emotional paintings wouldn't make much sense. Therefore (D) weakens the author's characterization and is the correct answer.

Hope that helps.
thanks, Matt,

I am still under the impression that Lich. was having problems with "too much emotion". Because he was rebelling against the later abstract expressionists, because it was "overly lyrical(expressing emotion in a beautiful way)". Seems like I got this upside down, could you please share some insights.

thanks,

Albert

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.