LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14619)

Must Be True. The correct answer choice is (A)

The correct answer choice will likely contain information about either reader-response theory (the better
theory; provides a more useful means to evaluate and understand a literary text by allowing readers
to apply their personal interpretation to the work) or formalism (the less useful theory; implies that a
literary work has an objective meaning and a proper evaluation of the content of the text will yield a
unified view).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. Formalists argue that an author’s intended
meaning is always legible within a work, no matter how obscured or hidden that meaning may be. Since
it is a critic’s duty to look for this meaning, responsible critics should tend to find it or something similar
to it.

Answer choice (B): The passage states that interpretations similar to reader-response theory existed
long before reader-response theory was articulated (lines 44-49) and that formalist literary criticism
existed before reader-response theory (line 2). However, the author does not mention anything about the
precursors to formalism and so readers cannot infer that formalist approaches existed long before the
theory itself existed.

Answer choice (C): This is an intriguing question: if formalists are always looking for the author’s
intended meaning, what will they find if there is no intended meaning? Unfortunately, the passage does
not provide enough information to answer this question. It may be that formalists would find no meaning
or many different meanings. In any case, formalists would likely argue that this issue is irrelevant since
every author must have at least one particular intended meaning.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice is essentially a Mistaken Negation of the author’s claim in lines
49-52. While the passage does suggest that reader-response theory may result in interpretations that are
unfairly contemporary, it does not argue that reader-response theory must use historical context to be
valid.

Answer choice (E): Most test takers can eliminate this answer choice as an exaggeration and an
unwarranted assumption. The passage does note that formalism is older than reader-response theory, but
it cannot be known if formalism is a day older, a week older, or a decade older. Also, at no point does the
passage discuss which theory has more adherents or that the older theory is more popular.
 ay514
|
Hello,

I am a bit stumped on the difference between answer choice A and C. I chose C because I did not feel as if answer choice C was supported by the passage more than choice A was...am I missing something? Thank you in advance!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'll pull some comments about (A) and (C) from our explanations file:

Answer choice (A): Formalists argue that an author’s intended meaning is always legible within a work, no matter how obscured or hidden that meaning may be. Since it is a critic’s duty to look for this meaning, responsible critics should tend to find it or something similar to it.

Answer choice (C): This is an intriguing question: if formalists are always looking for the author’s intended meaning, what will they find if there is no intended meaning? Unfortunately, the passage does not provide enough information to answer this question. It may be that formalists would find no meaning or many different meanings. In any case, formalists would likely argue that this issue is irrelevant since every author must have at least one particular intended meaning.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 ay514
|
Yes, it does. Thank you! I think I was just stuck on the fact that I didn't specifically see the line that supports the statement that readers would find same or similar meanings but I see now how answer choice A is a better choice even if through inference. Thank you!
 catherinedf
|
Hi,

I'm looking at the passage about reader response theory.

On question number 21, I put the answer as C when the correct answer is A. I understand how A is correct (line 16 - having a unified view of a work, but am having a hard time understanding why C can't also be the right answer. Don't lines 29-33 suggest that if the author had no intended meaning a formalist therefore would not be able to find one?

Appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks,

Catherine
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question--this is an interesting one. According to the passage,the formalists believed that the intended meaning of a piece of literature is always legible within the work, no matter how obscure.

But what if the author of a given literary work didn't intend any particular meaning? The passage does not discuss this specific topic, so formalists may be able to find meaning in such a work.

Good question! That's a tough one--let me know if it makes sense--thanks!

~Steve
 catherinedf
|
It does make sense - thanks for your help!
 kuma-turtle
|
Hello,

I chose (C) because the text specifically says on lines 27 to 32
"yet, however hidden it may be, the author's intended meaning is legible within the work, and it is the critic's responsibility to search closely for this meaning." (I placed the underlines)
But as mentioned in the explanation above, I guess this direct reference is still not enough because there is no explanation on what meaning the critics would arrive at if there is no intended meaning, correct?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think that's the right way to look at it, kuma-turtle. Also, consider that a writer may not have intended one particular meaning, but could have intended for something to have multiple meanings, layered with complexity, and formalists could still discern some or all of those meanings. And perhaps, while a formalist's goal is to seek out the author's meaning, that doesn't mean they will always find it, and they may find a meaning that the author did not intend (which is essentially what your analysis said might happen if there was no intended meaning).

Good job! You're right to analyze the text looking for support for your answers, and being able to cite a line reference to support your contender is a solid approach. Just be careful that the text you cite does indeed support that answer choice, and that that choice is better than another one because it has more and/or better support.

Well done!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.