LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14655)

Specific Reference, Function. The correct answer choice is (B)

The author referred to Wright and Wagner as examples of architects who were touted by Modernists
as innovators within the Movement. Although their works were not exclusively Modernist, proponents
conveniently focused on Modern aspects of the work.

Answer choice (A): This response might be attractive, because it seems to coincide with the idea that
the Modern Movement eventually grew somewhat unpopular. However, we cannot conclude that Frank
Lloyd Wright and Otto Wagner were initially unpopular simply because the Modern Movement later
declined.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Proponents did claim that these architects
represented the Movement, and chose to emphasize aspects of their work which supported this claim.

Answer choice (C): The passage never suggests that Wagner and Wright helped to popularize the
movement, only that they were referred to as innovators by some within the Movement.

Answer choice (D): The passage does not offer much insight into what inspired the work of Wagner and
Wright, other than to refer to some Modernist aspects. Since we have no way of knowing how clients’
needs came into play, this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (E): Since proponents of Modernist architecture treated Frank Lloyd Wright and Otto
Wagner as young, Modernist innovators, there is no reason to conclude that they were perceived to be “at
odds with the principles of Modernism.”
 voodoochild
|
Experts,
I missed this one. Here was my pre-phrase:-

By 1945, the tenets of Modernism became dominant. By 1950, architectural criticism was dominated by Modernism. An architect's work that was not Modernist was shot down. (line 27)

Now, here's the confusion. How do I know that these two artists were believed to represent Modernism? These two guys could be one of those architects whose 5% work was Modernism, but 95% of the work was shot down (non-modernist work). (we don't know this detail). Also, lines 28-30 mention that attention was given to only those features of "their" (= antecedent of "their" is innovators/architects --- this doesn't mean Modernist architects) work that were "Modern," how does it make them Modernists? They could be an average guy like me who hardly know anything about Modernism, but by chance, their work was really good and comprised of a bit of modernism. Isn't it?

Thoughts? Please help me.

thanks
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi voodoochild,

Thanks for your question. Take another look at the question: it asks why the author brought up Wright and Wagner (lines 27-28). The lines you drew from for your prephrase actually end on line 25, a couple of lines before the author turns to focus on Wright and Wagner.

The author says that Modernist proponents were dismissive of those who didn't seem to advance the movement--that is the section you referred to...

"On the other hand," the author goes on to say, when someone became known as an innovator (someone such as Wright or Wagner), the Modernists chose to pay attention to the Modernist features (as if to say "see, those successful innovators Wright and Wagner are Modernists as well.")

This is what correct answer choice B provides. Let me know whether this clears that one up--thanks!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.