LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14636)

Author’s Perspective. The correct answer choice is (E)

Since this question asks for the response that the author would most likely disagree with, we should look
for the answer choice that cannot be true based on the information provided in the stimulus.

Answer choice (A): Since the author acknowledges that a specific new source is likely to be valuable to
the formation of a complete cultural perspective, this answer choice provides an assertion with which the
author would likely agree.

Answer choice (B): Since there has been a change in what historiographers of the US Pacific Coast
view as a source, some time might lapse before every historiographer knows of these new sources to be
considered, so the author might agree with this assertion. In any case, there is no reason to assume that
the author would disagree, so this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): The author asserts that the historiography was incomplete without consideration of
the acts of early Chinese settlers, so the same might be said for other sources not previously considered.
Since the author would be likely to agree with this statement, this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (D): Since this answer basically paraphrases the claims found in lines 15-17, this
assertion is not one with which the author would disagree, so this answer is wrong.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. The author’s arguments relay the idea that,
wherever written evidence neglects an important, contributing population, historiographers should
investigate this new source of information. This assertion is based not on the fact that the settlers were
non-European, but rather that they made important contributions. Thus the author would disagree with
this answer choice, which asserts non-European participation is required to expand the definition of a
source.
 mkarimi73
|
I am having trouble wrapping my head around question 11 on pg. 351. The credited answer was choice (E). I chose C because I believed it was the best supported answer, and it would be one that I would argue the author could possibly disagree with, given lines 27-32 and 54-60. The author seems to imply that it is difficult to argue for a complete history of the Pacific Coast without some valuable information regarding the contributions of Chinese settlers to the landscape. In regards to (E), I don't see any evidence in the passage where the author would explicitly disagree with this statement. The author could agree or could disagree with this statement! There needs to be more information provided here.

Thus, my frustration stems from trying to figure out how to arrive at the write answer in the short time span that we are given for the sake of going to law school. I want to go to law school, but I am having trouble figuring out what the test makers want me to put for questions like these. Is there a silver bullet here on these inference type questions? I recognize that you need to find the most "provable" answer choice given the information in the passage, but in some cases, there are questions that just don't have the support. Thus, I am looking for a strategy that is going to at least provide me some more consistency in conquering these types of questions. Thanks in advance! Apologies for the long post!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
mkarimi73 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:41 pm I am having trouble wrapping my head around question 11 on pg. 351. The credited answer was choice (E). I chose C because I believed it was the best supported answer, and it would be one that I would argue the author could possibly disagree with, given lines 27-32 and 54-60. The author seems to imply that it is difficult to argue for a complete history of the Pacific Coast without some valuable information regarding the contributions of Chinese settlers to the landscape. In regards to (E), I don't see any evidence in the passage where the author would explicitly disagree with this statement. The author could agree or could disagree with this statement! There needs to be more information provided here.

Thus, my frustration stems from trying to figure out how to arrive at the write answer in the short time span that we are given for the sake of going to law school. I want to go to law school, but I am having trouble figuring out what the test makers want me to put for questions like these. Is there a silver bullet here on these inference type questions? I recognize that you need to find the most "provable" answer choice given the information in the passage, but in some cases, there are questions that just don't have the support. Thus, I am looking for a strategy that is going to at least provide me some more consistency in conquering these types of questions. Thanks in advance! Apologies for the long post!
Hi mkarimi73,

I have moved your post to the thread discussing this question. Please review the above explanation, and let us know if this helps!

Our forum is organized by section (LR, LG, RC), test, and then by LR Section, Game, or Passage. This way, you can easily find the explanations you are looking for! :)

Thanks!
 mkarimi73
|
If someone could reply to my post on August 23rd, 2022, that would be greatly appreciated. I read the answer choice explanations, but I still stand by my previous inquiries. It seems that the question was testing one's ability to recognize diversity passage themes rather than seeking direct textual support from the passage. Please correct me if I am wrong. In addition, if the question stems says, "Which one of the following would the author most likely disagree...?", is that classified as a GR Must Be True (AP), a GR Must Be True (X) (AP), or a GR Cannot Be True. Thanks in advance!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mkarimi73

This question is a cannot be true question, because it asks us which answer choice would the author disagree with. It's global, and it is about the author's perspective on a topic.

For answer choice (C), the author either would agree with the statement, or we don't have enough information to quite support the statement. For the first part of the answer choice, the author would agree. They would say that yes, recognizing the actions of settlers adds to the writing of the history of the Pacific Coast. The author is less clear on if now the understanding is complete. However, I would venture that we could support the idea that the author thinks there is still more to understand about the history of the Pacific Coast. When the author references the expansion of sources, they use the actions of the Chinese settlers as an explicit example. That indicates that there certainly can be the potential for more sources.

Answer choice (E) on the other hand is contradicted by the passage. Lines 27-32 actually are the lines that would support that this answer choice cannot be true. It's talking about how the definition of a source needs to be considered broadly in different scenarios, and cannot be defined by "a narrow record of experiences." This indicates that the author would likely disagree with a statement as narrow as answer choice (E). And again, the passage points to the experience of Chinese settlers as only an example of this new broadening of sources, not the only situation where the broad view of sources would apply.

Often when students struggle with these global questions, the issue is rushing through the initial review of the passage. You want to specifically go through the ViewStamp elements prior to looking at the questions as your practice as a way to make certain that you understand those big-picture passage concepts. You want to think through what those ideas are before jumping into the questions. In a timed test, you'll be less explicit about writing out that sort of analysis, however, you'll still want to pause to think through these elements and make appropriate notes to help you with your questions.

Hope that helps!
 mkarimi73
|
Thank you for the explanation!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.