LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14508)

The correct answer choice is (D)

You should select a choice that adequately refl ects lines 6-8.

Answer choice (A): The fact that fungi can have a symbiotic relationship with their hosts was not
discussed as a new discovery. In fact, the fi rst paragraph implies that scientists have known of
symbiotic fungi, in lichens, for some time. The new discovery is about how those fungi are related to
other fungi.

Answer choice (B): The passage never suggests that lichen-forming fungi have recently been found
to be a distinct species. You can eliminate this response immediately for two reasons. First, the
passage concerned the close relationship of lichen-forming fungi to other fungi. Second, the passage
implied in lines 9-14 that there are at least several lichen-forming fungi (“close relatives”).

Answer choice (C): The passage related lichen-forming fungi to other fungi, not to algae, so this
response is incorrect. This response is based on mistaking the symbiotic relationship of fungus and
alga in lichen for an evolutionary, or genetic (DNA), relationship.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. This response accurately summarizes the
strong statement in lines 6-8, and desirably references the fact that DNA evidence was the crucial
factor in the discovery.

Answer choice (E): The author made a passing reference to the visual similarity between lichenforming
and more common fungi; however, that reference did not capture the main point of this
passage

If you remove the only reference to visual similarity—the last sentence of the fi rst paragraph (lines
12-14)—the passage will not be affected at all, so you should not mistake it for the main idea. The
passage concerned the relationship of lichen-forming fungi and fungi in general; the fact that the
relationship explains some visual similarities is just information that the author evidently thought
was interesting, and the LSAT test writers thought was noticeable enough to attract test takers to an
incorrect choice. Always stick to the main theme in a passage—do not let the possible intimidation
factor of a science passage misdirect you.
 cleocleozuo
|
I have a question though.... I understand the main purpose of the passage is to describe the new study. But it seems odd that the AC does not include the implication part which the author spends a whole paragraph on. Does it mean that if the main purpose of a passage is to describe an experiment/study/evolution, the implication of the study or experiment is not important?

Many thanks!
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It does not mean that it is not important, but it may not be necessary to have in a main point correct answer choice. When I am looking through a main point question, I am not looking for an answer choice that addresses every paragraph; instead, I am looking for an answer choice that:

1. Accurately describes the topic of the passage
2. Addresses the Author point of view if there is one
3. Has no incorrect elements.
 cleocleozuo
|
Ryan Twomey wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:06 pm It does not mean that it is not important, but it may not be necessary to have in a main point correct answer choice. When I am looking through a main point question, I am not looking for an answer choice that addresses every paragraph; instead, I am looking for an answer choice that:

1. Accurately describes the topic of the passage
2. Addresses the Author point of view if there is one
3. Has no incorrect elements.
Thank you! I agree that it does not need to address every paragraph. But I often think about what elements are important for the passage and should be included in the main point question after reading a passage. For instance, as you mentioned, if the author expresses an opinion, the answer should definitely reflect it in some way. But I am not sure if the implication is also such an element that has to be included? or is it depend on the structure?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Cleo!

You're right to think that an implication of research that an author discusses is often part of the main point of the passage. The thing to remember about main point questions in RC, however, is that we always have to go with the best answer choice that they give us. Sometimes the main point we prephrase is better than any of the options that the LSAT makers have offered us. But we have to take what we can get. The three items that Ryan listed above are the things that are absolutely necessary in a main point answer choice. For anything else, it's going to depend on the answer choices you're given. Sometimes you'll have a correct answer choice that includes an implication. Sometimes, as in this question, the correct answer choice won't include the implication. What matters is that the answer choice accurately describes the topic of the passage, addresses the author's viewpoint, doesn't include any incorrect elements, and--I'll add a fourth criteria--describes the main point of the passage better than the other four answer choice options.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 cleocleozuo
|
Got it, thank you very much!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.