LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Basic Linear: Balanced game.

The game scenario establishes that seven paintings will be arranged in a row of seven positions. The “entrance” serves as a point of orientation. If it helps, you can jot it down to the left of the first position, as shown below:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 1.png
This creates a Basic Linear diagram, and because there are seven variables for seven positions, this is a Balanced game. With the basic structure in place, let us now turn to the rules.

The first rule establishes the following sequence:
  • ..... ..... ..... ..... T :longline: W
This sequence creates a T Not Law and a W Not Law:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 2.png
The second rule establishes a split-block, indicating that R and M are separated by exactly one space:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 3.png
As with the previous rule, Not Laws can again be drawn:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 4.png
The third rule establishes a rotating PS block:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 5.png
Alternatively, you can represent this rule with a circle, as shown below:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 6.png
Because either P or S can be closer to the entrance, this rotating block does not generate any Not Laws.
The fourth rule establishes the following conditional relationship:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 7.png
By the contrapositive, we also know that:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 8.png
As a result, V must be either third or fourth, creating a Split Dual-Option. Of course, V cannot be positioned anywhere else, which generates five additional V Not Laws (representing these Not Laws is optional, since V is already shown to be either third or fourth):
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 9.png
At this point, each of the rules has been represented, and appropriate Not Laws drawn. Let’s now look at some inferences. Consider that in this game there are two blocks—a rotating block and a Split block—which together occupy five of the seven spaces on our diagram. Additionally, we have a 2-variable sequence, and severe limitations on the placement of V. There is no overlap between the variables in those elements, so one can deduce that there must be some restrictions in their movements. Let’s examine the interaction between the two blocks as it relates to V:

The R _ M block requires three consecutive spaces, whereas the PS/SP block requires two consecutive spaces. Since V is limited to one of only two spaces, the convergence of these three elements creates an important inference:
  • If either P or S were fourth, then V would have to be third, and the other half of the rotating PS block would have to be fifth. However, this alignment fully occupies three adjacent positions right in the middle of our diagram (third, fourth, and fifth), leaving no room for the R _ M block. Thus, neither P nor S can be positioned fourth.
When these two Not Laws are added to the diagram, we arrive at the final basic setup for this game:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 10.png
There are more inferences in this game—question #20 makes that apparent—but figuring out that inference while under time pressure is exceptionally difficult, and so we will examine that inference when we arrive at question #20.

The incredibly restrictive nature of the rules also opens up the possibility of a Templates-based approach. Due to its size, the R _ M block can only occupy five distinct positions on the diagram, each of which stands to limit the positioning of V, and also determine—to an extent—the location of the rotating PS block. Also, note that P and S are interchangeable, since there are no rules that apply specifically to one of the two variables but not to the other. Therefore, a closer examination of the two options presented by the rotating block (PS or SP) is unwarranted.

One possible way to begin creating the Templates would be to examine the location of the R _ M block, because it is the rule that restricts the most variables (2) to the fewest number of spaces (5 each). By comparison, the rotating PS block restricts 2 variables to as many as 7 spaces each, whereas the V Dual-option restricts only 1 variable to 2 possible spaces. The R _ M block, therefore, provides the highest level of restriction, and should be analyzed first:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 11.png
Next, we need to position the rotating PS block, while also ensuring that the remaining two variables—T and W—are sequenced in accordance with the first rule. Templates 1, 2 and 4 make this task relatively straightforward:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 12.png
In Template 3, the rotating PS block can occupy two distinctly different positions (1—2 or else 6—7). This has affects T and W, allowing for two subsidiary templates (we will draw these out here for the purposes of full coverage, but during the game you would not want to spend the extra time drawing out both sub-templates since the PS/TW relationships is relatively clear):
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 13.png
Finally, in Template 5 the rotating PS block is allowed a greater degree of mobility. Nevertheless, you should immediately notice that it cannot occupy the third and fourth positions, because this would interfere with the positioning of V. Therefore, the rotating PS block can only occupy positions 1—2 or else 2—3, which allows for two additional subsidiary templates. Again, we will draw these out here for the purposes of full coverage, but during the game you would not want to spend the extra time drawing out each sub-template:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 14.png
The full list of seven templates is recreated below:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 15.png
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #4_setup_diagram 16.png
While a Templates approach requires a significant investment of time and may appear daunting at first, it is ultimately advantageous in this game: First, each template is severely restricted, which makes it unnecessary to create local diagrams for any of the local questions (Questions #18, #19, #21, #22, and #23). Second, the templates reveal another important inference—namely, that W cannot be third—which immediately answers Question #20. Third, the optimal approach is to show just the five main templates (and to not show all the sub-templates). Last, consider the fact that this game contains seven questions, rather than, say, five. The higher the number of questions, the more benefit you can expect to derive from your initial investment of time.

This game epitomizes the central proposition that is inherent in a Templates approach: you will spend more time in the setup, but this time will be regained in the lightning-fast execution of the questions. Ultimately, this approach is optional here, and you can successfully solve the questions without it. Consequently, our solution to each question will reference the relevant templates, but we will also discuss how to solve the questions without the use of templates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 med2law
|
As you are doing this in real time, how to you perform efficient scrap-paper organization/management?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi med2law!

You'd set it up your scrap paper basically as shown above--first create your main diagram by diagramming each of the variable sets, the rules, and any direct inferences you can make from combining rules. If you decide you want to go with a templates approach, then I'd start by doing all of the templates with the R __ M block in 1 and 3, then the templates with R ___ M in 2 and 4, etc. until you've made all of the templates. Whenever you do templates, make sure you are creating them in a methodical manner so that you do not miss any possible templates and so that you do keep them in an order that will make specific templates easier to locate.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 gingerale
|
Hi! I originally started attacking this setup using identify the templates but ended up abandoning this approach when I saw that there would be more than 4 templates, as I had remembered was recommended in LGB. In which scenarios would I know that drawing out more than 4 templates would be worth my time?
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi gingerale,

It's always a little bit of a tossup as to whether to diagram more than 4 templates on any given game. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't have used templates on this game, and you can certainly do this game well with just the basic setup provided before the templates. But it's a close call (more on that at the very end of this post).

We show the templates here for those who want to see them and think about whether they would pursue that approach. There are a few considerations that govern whether I pursue templates in a more complex scenario like this (where there are 5 or more).

First, how much time do I have relative to where I am in the section overall? This is the 4th game of the section. Assuming I'd done all the other games, if I dove into this game with, say, 7 minutes remaining, I wouldn't feel comfortable jotting down 7 templates because I'd be worried about running out of time. But if I dove into this game with 11 or 12 minutes left in the section (that sometimes happens to me, because I've done a very efficient job on the other 3 games), then I might feel comfortable chasing down 7 templates.

Second, how much am I "fighting" to fill out each template? If the first two templates are a major struggle when it comes to filling them out completely, no way am I going to force myself to do all seven. But if, once I dive in on a template, I realize that the spaces fill in rather quickly, I'm happy to do more than the usual number of templates (might be comfortable doing 6 or 7, where I would ordinarily only want to do 3 or 4).

Last, how many questions are there in the game and what type of questions are they? If there are 7 questions, most of which are either (a) global (particularly the "complete and accurate" list style of global questions) or (b) complex/slightly vague local (where the local condition is hard to immediately "plug in" to a diagram), it might actually end up being worth it to spend more time diagramming up front. That's because I'd see from the questions that I'd be doing a ton of diagramming on the back end of the game anyway! If there are only 5 questions, 3 or 4 of which are Local with simple conditions, then there's not as much value to drawing lots of templates. On this game, there are 7 questions (a factor in favor of templating), though there are not a lot of Global questions (a factor weighing against templating), but there are also a few Local questions with relatively vague conditions (e.g. 21, 22, and 23; a factor weighing in favor of templating). So I think a good number of folks are going to feel like, ultimately, templating is a solid approach here.

I hope this helps!
 NJL2022
|
Hi PS Staff,

My question is regarding the last inference regarding Not Law for PS/SP block in the fourth position. The origianl explanation combined three rules and provides the following:

The R _ M block requires three consecutive spaces, whereas the PS/SP block requires two consecutive spaces. Since V is limited to one of only two spaces, the convergence of these three elements creates an important inference:
If either P or S were fourth, then V would have to be third, and the other half of the rotating PS block would have to be fifth. However, this alignment fully occupies three adjacent positions right in the middle of our diagram (third, fourth, and fifth), leaving no room for the R _ M block. Thus, neither P nor S can be positioned fourth.

How would I recognize the PS Not Law when making inferences, making the connection across multiple rules? This seemed to be an important piece when it came to limiting options in this game specifically. I originally did not use a template approach, however took about 12 min to complete this game.

Bottom line, for this and future games, how does one make the decision to use a template approach under the gun, with the interest of time as the main consideration? Appreciate the feedback.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi NLJ,

These templates are fairly filled in, so you might think that should be the case for all templates in all games. That's simply not true. The goal of templates is discover information you didn't have before. You want there to be something you can learn from the templates. This is my very very very favorite template guidance article. I love this article. I live for this article. Because this article helped me embrace templates after teaching this test for more than ten years. I'm not saying I never used templates before this article. But this article blew my whole technique up for logic games. Read it. Love it. Let it change your test approach.

For what it's worth, I templated here because of a combination of the V in 3/4 and the RM rules. The RM block has to go either before V (only if V's in 4) or after V. That limitation seems ripe for templates.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.