LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

cindyhylee87
|
Hi,

I am not sure about the answer of this question. It seems to me that (D) would be the correct answer because the example on the last paragraph is actually an example of analogy (stone to bread story) for me.

Thank you.

Cindy
 mshaikh
|
I had the same confusion as Cindy above which is why I chose answer choice D. Although I didn't feel that paragraph 2 was a brief example I got confused by the word analogy. How is para 2 an analogy?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi guys,

This is a great example of where turning around the problem helps you better understand the test maker's mindset. In this case, we know that "the first supported with an extended analogy, the second supported with a brief example" is how the test makers see it, and that they didn't see it as "the first supported with a brief example, the second supported with an extended analogy." I love questions like this since it allows us to see how the exam works, and to better understand how they view the ideas therein.

So, in (E) we know that the first point is supported with an extended analogy, so what is that? Well, an analogy is a comparison between two things, and here the author compares the book's form to the "three-stage structure noted by anthropologists in their studies of rites of passage." That comparison is then discussed at length, which substantiates this part of answer choice (E).

The second point in (E) is said to be "supported with a brief example." In this case, the symbols used by the book are the second point, and that's supported by the example of the documents. The author even uses the phrase "In one example of such symbolism" in line 44, which helps strengthen the "example" reference. The discussion of this second point is much shorter than the first, which also supports the "extended...brief" setup in (E).

Here's where it gets tricky and why (D) is attractive: the analogy of the bread and stone is one used by Kogawa in the book, and is referenced by the author as part of the example of the documents being symbolic. It's not actually an analogy used by the author as a new device, or in a similar way to the three-part structure discussed earlier. In other words, the example at the end discusses an analogy in the book, but isn't in fact an extended analogy itself that supports the symbolism point. That's a confusing similarity and a very small but definite difference, making this answer look attractive but still be incorrect.

So, hopefully that helps you see inside this question. Answer choice (D) clearly has points of attraction, but the specifics are slightly reversed compared to what the test makers say happened. Regardless, this question is an excellent one to study to see some of the tricks they use.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 mshaikh
|
HI Dave!

Thanks so much! I see the analogy now and why that was the correct answer.

Best,

Maham S.
 frank.dawson
|
Hi,
I have a question regarding to passage 2, homework 6. I could not find the explanation for comprehension readings homework. Would you please explain the question 10 in passage 2 of homework 6? I have read the passage many times and answer options are two point where I found three. Would you please clarify that?
Thank you
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Frank!

The two points the author makes about the novel are at the end of the first paragraph: that Kogawa employs the novel's form to emphasize the main character's heroism, and that she employs symbolism to critique the majority culture.

Paragraph Two supports the first point through an analogy with "The form of the novel parallels... Often, an analogy can be described as a "parallel case."

Paragraph Three supports the second point with "In one such example of such symbolism..."

Hope that helps!
 rjulien91
|
Why would the chapter by chapter breakdown in the second paragraph be considered an analogy? Not the best terminology is it just using analogy here to mean example?
Dave Killoran wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:21 pm Hi guys,

This is a great example of where turning around the problem helps you better understand the test maker's mindset. In this case, we know that "the first supported with an extended analogy, the second supported with a brief example" is how the test makers see it, and that they didn't see it as "the first supported with a brief example, the second supported with an extended analogy." I love questions like this since it allows us to see how the exam works, and to better understand how they view the ideas therein.

So, in (E) we know that the first point is supported with an extended analogy, so what is that? Well, an analogy is a comparison between two things, and here the author compares the book's form to the "three-stage structure noted by anthropologists in their studies of rites of passage." That comparison is then discussed at length, which substantiates this part of answer choice (E).

The second point in (E) is said to be "supported with a brief example." In this case, the symbols used by the book are the second point, and that's supported by the example of the documents. The author even uses the phrase "In one example of such symbolism" in line 44, which helps strengthen the "example" reference. The discussion of this second point is much shorter than the first, which also supports the "extended...brief" setup in (E).

Here's where it gets tricky and why (D) is attractive: the analogy of the bread and stone is one used by Kogawa in the book, and is referenced by the author as part of the example of the documents being symbolic. It's not actually an analogy used by the author as a new device, or in a similar way to the three-part structure discussed earlier. In other words, the example at the end discusses an analogy in the book, but isn't in fact an extended analogy itself that supports the symbolism point. That's a confusing similarity and a very small but definite difference, making this answer look attractive but still be incorrect.

So, hopefully that helps you see inside this question. Answer choice (D) clearly has points of attraction, but the specifics are slightly reversed compared to what the test makers say happened. Regardless, this question is an excellent one to study to see some of the tricks they use.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi rjulien91!

The first sentence of the second paragraph is good support for understanding that paragraph as an analogy. That sentence states, "The form of the novel parallels the three-stage structure noted by anthropologists in their studies of rites of passage" (lines 13-15).

This sentence states that the novel "parallels" the mentioned structure noted by anthropologists, rather than another phrasing, such as "adopts" or "uses" this structure. As one continues in this paragraph, there's still no mention that the novel is intentionally applying the structure of anthropologists.

So to your question, the function of the word "analogy" here isn't equivalent to "example." Rather, the paragraph involves a comparison between two things to indicate similarity--the three-stage structure of anthropologists, and the structure of the novel.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.