LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

PamelaO
|
I was not sure why the answer was E and not D. I guess I see that it's showing a negative about only the sales of a book and comparing that to only valuing the monetary value of prosperity, but couldn't this count as more evidence of the inability to quantify these similar things?

Not sure if I made sense, but basically my paint issue is with the "limitations" in choice E. I fail to see how it's a limitation.

May you please explain why E and not D?
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Pamela,

Very good insight here. Yes, (D) and (E) do present a challenge, but let's differentiate between the two to determine why (E) is the credited response.

First, focus on the "action" verb that introduces these answer choices. This is a specific purpose question akin to asking "why" the author does something, or what purpose this excerpt serves in her overall argument.

(D) starts with "provide additional evidence."

(E) starts with "illustrate."

What is the author trying to accomplish here? Is she trying to give another data point, or is she trying to elaborate/explain a feature of her argument. Given the choice, the LSAC would likely argue for the latter.

Second, note the topic of each answer choice.

(D) concerns primarily whether prosperity can be quantified.

(E) concerns the "economists' position."

Given the evidence in the passage (line 52 "the economists' stance can be likened"), it is likely that (E) provides a better match for the function of this particular excerpt.

Last, note the strength of language, "cannot be quantified," in answer choice (D). The author's argument might not properly be understood to mean that prosperity "cannot be quantified" but rather that the quantification of prosperity poses difficult challenges. Note that the author does discuss how natural beauty even has some obvious monetary value to people who choose to live in beautiful areas even though they could make twice their salaries in nearby cities.

Thus, answer choice (D) includes a slight distortion of the author's thesis.

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.