LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Sdaoud17
|
This Question was tricky for me , I was between B and C but because B had the word only ... I Picked C. Can you tell me the best approach for it also why are the others are incorrect? I would really appreciate it

Thank you
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The third paragraph spells out the critics' view: ...Without harvest limitations, they say, the land would be seriously damaged...the critics conclude that their location has substantial monetary value to them. The community will thus lose much more...if the proposed harvest limits are not implemented."

So, what would the critics agree with? Pretty safe to say that they would agree with the advantages outweighing the disadvantages when it comes to harvest limitations.

As for the other answer choices, they are incorrect because they are not supported by the passage. It's good that you noted the use of the word "only," which made incorrect answer choice B a bold statement that could not be supported. But it is important to recognize that there is not always going to be some quick trick to rule out the wrong answers.

I hope that's helpful! Let me know, and If there are any specific incorrect answer choices that you found appealing, please let me know why you found them so--thanks!

~Steve
 cruzer2020
|
Hi,

I have a question on some of the wording of the answer vs. my answer choice.

2. In the answer key it cites lines 32-34, and 42-44 proving that C is the correct answer. In my answer selection process, I was torn between A and D as answer choices and completely disregarded C. What makes both A and D incorrect answers?

Thank you,

Suri
 Alex Bodaken
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
cruzer2020,

Thanks for the question, and please accept our apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Let me see if I can help.

Question #2: In answering this question, it is vital to understand the position of the critics in this passage. Generally, the critics argue that when analyzing prosperity, one should take into account more than just monetary value but also things like environmental impact; and as a result, the critics support limitations on harvests. Answer (A) is incorrect because the critics don't deny a connection between wages/jobs and the harvest, they instead argue that even given those considerations, limitations on the harvest are appropriate. Answer (D) is incorrect because the critics are not arguing that the communities don't understand the monetary impact of harvest limitations...they are arguing that communities protest because they only take monetary considerations into account, which is not what this answer choice says. Finally, answer (C) is credited because it accurately reflects the critics' opinion that overall, harvest limitations would do more good than bad, which is simply answer choice (C) restated.

Hope all of that helps, and feel free to continue to reach out with any questions!
Alex
 mahsan
|
Hi,

I picked C) for my answer but wanted to be certain on why D) is wrong. The author seems to state that there could be a long-term monetary impact without harvest limitations. In line 32, it is stated that "without the harvest limitations, they say, the land on which the community depends would be seriously damaged". If the land would be seriously damaged, the residents' ability to create income from harvesting timber in the long term would be affected, and since monetary reasons are the motivation behind the protests, it seems that the protesting residents don't understand the monetary implications in the long term, which makes D) an attractive answer choice. Is this extrapolating too far?

Or is the answer wrong because D) states that the lack of understanding of the long-term monetary impact is the reason communities (multiple, whereas the passage gave one example) protest harvest limitations. Is this generalizing one situation to multiple communities?

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Mahsan,

I really like how you are thinking through this question. Answer choice (D) is wrong for a few reasons. First, the passage doesn't give us any information about what the community does or doesn't understand. We don't know if the members of the community understood as to the economic impact of the harvest limitations. We know their initial arguments. But we don't know anything about the residents' understanding. Second, we want to think about WHY the author discusses the timber example in the rural community. It's not to show that the residents of the community fail to understand economics. It's to show that there could be advantages to the timber restrictions that weren't evident at first.

Hope that helps!
Rachael
 mahsan
|
Hi Rachael,

Thinking in terms of why the author presented that example really drilled it in for me.

Thanks for the explanation!
 catherineshi99
|
Hi,

I now understand why C) is the correct answer however I would love some clarification on why E) is incorrect. I chose this answer because of this phrase in the 2nd paragraph:
"It can also happen that communities seeking to increase their prosperity as measured strictly in monetary terms may damage their quality of life and their environment."
Since economists argue for prosperity to be measured strictly in monetary terms, and it is this definition that is causing the community members to protest the harvest limitations as stated here: "they vocally protested proposed limitations on timber harvests as a threat to their prosperity", I'm struggling to see how E) is incorrect.

The only thing I can guess is maybe the wording of the answer choice applies to all "rural communities" while the passage only refers to one rural community.

Thanks!
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Catherine,

So the question is asking, which one of the following statements would the critics agree with based on the example of timber in the passage above. I think you may have misread the question stem. I would recommend spending a little extra time reading and digesting the question stem in reading comp before jumping into the answer choices. I see this as a common mistake with my students. In reading comp, it is very important to read the question stem and know exactly what it is asking because there are so many more nuances to the question stems in reading comp than in the logical reasoning section, so it is much more important to read the question stem carefully and slowly in this section than in logical reasoning for example.

The critics in the passage are in favor of the harvest limitations because of their benefit to the community, making C the correct answer.

Answer choice E is incorrect, because the critics do not discuss whether the rural community is aware of the economists argument. For C to be correct, the critics would have to believe that the economists argument is influencing the rural communities beliefs.

I hope this helps and I wish you all of the luck in your studies.

Best,
Ryan
 LSATQueen2024
|
Hi,

I got the answer correct, but I wanted to understand better why answer A was wrong. The critics state that the residents would make more money moving 150 kilometers away, which indicates to me that the Harvest limitations don't have much of an impact on economic prosperity in the community.

Thank you,

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.