LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14979)

The correct answer choice is (C)

This question establishes that O is summarized: a seemingly innocuous question, it proved exceptionally difficult for most test takers. Let’s take it one step at a time:

Since O is discussed fourth, it follows that the fourth book discussed must be summarized. And, since no two consecutively discussed books can be summarized, we can also infer that the third and the fifth books discussed cannot be summarized:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #3_#14_diagram 1.png
In its current form, our local diagram contains a great deal of uncertainty, preventing us from quickly answering this Cannot Be True question. Rather than manipulate the five remaining variables in your head, it is best to create three local diagrams that break down the order in which the first three books are discussed. This approach has a lot of potential, because the third book discussed cannot be summarized, and—as shown on our main diagram—that book is either F or T, potentially triggering the second rule in the game. Thus:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #3_#14_diagram 2.png
Thanks to the contrapositive of the second rule, if T is not summarized, then N must be summarized (i.e. either T or N must be summarized). Thus, in the first two local diagrams above, we can infer that N must be summarized. And, since N is adjacent to F in both diagrams, it follows that F is not summarized:
PT71_D13 LG Explanations_Game #3_#14_diagram 3.png
Note that the same deductions cannot be made with respect to the third solution, because the relationship between N, T, and R with respect to their status (summarized or not) cannot be determined. Nevertheless, we can still prove that answer choice (C) cannot be true in any of the three setups, and is therefore correct. The remaining four answers could be true, as shown on the diagrams above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 mroe2
|
Hi Power Score people!

I am having trouble understanding why C is the correct answer to 14. My set-up was this:

N>T>O> K/R
F<----O

Therefore, if O is summarized, the variables immediately next to O cannot be summarized (due to the first rule).

But if the order is this:

N F T O K/R R/K

F could be summarized, yes?

I chose answer (E), "N is not summarized," because that would cause R and T to be summarized, both of which could be placed next to O.
e.g. F N T O K/R R/K

Please let me know what you think, thanks!
 Jason Schultz
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mroe2,

You had the right setup and the right idea for this question, but just went slightly askew.

The key rule here is that no two summarized books can be adjacent. You also correctly noted that books 3 and 5 are now unsummarized.

However, the second rule is critical here. If N is unsummarized, then T is summarized. (Set R aside for a second.) The contrapositive of that is that if T is unsummarized, then N is summarized.

This rule relationship is unusual, but when it appears it is critical. What it means in practice is that at least one of N, T, or R is summarized in each game.

So, back to the game we know that in C), F is summarized. If so, it can't be spot 3 because that would create a conflict with O. So it has to be either spot 1 or 2. If its in spot one then the game is:
FNTO(K,R)

Spot 2:
NFTO(K,R)

In either case, F is adjacent to N, which means that N would have to be unsummarized. But if N is unsummarized, then T has to be. But it can't be, because T has to be in position 3.

There's no acceptable solution left, so C cannot be true.
 mroe2
|
Thanks so much Jason! Tricky tricky :)
 medialaw111516
|
I only drew out 2 diagrams for this one instead of all 3 and am wondering if that's ok? I got the answer correct by doing the NTFOK/R and NFTOR/K set ups. Once I saw the T not being summarized in the second one because O was summarized, I was able to eliminate all the wrong answers and see that in both of my diagrams, F can't be summarized. Do I need to draw the 3rd one out to be sure, or do you think on test day 2 out of 3 and seeing my prephrase in the answer choices is probably a good indicator that it's correct.
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi medialaw111516!

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question so let me know if I don't answer what you're asking:

Generally speaking, when you are drawing templates, your goal is to encompass all the possible directions the game could take, meaning in this case you would want to draw all 3 templates. The danger in only drawing 2 templates is that if you assume those are the only directions the game can take, you might miss questions that rely on you being aware of the missing direction.

If, instead of identifying all the templates, your goal was just to draw out a couple of possible scenarios and you realized there were others, then that would be okay, though not quite as useful as having all of the templates. Basically it all comes down to what you have assumed when drawing out your templates. Are they just a couple of scenarios to get you started? Or do you think you have encompassed all scenarios in your templates?

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 medialaw111516
|
Hi Kelsey! Yup, that was my question. When I said only drawing out 2, I was referring to a couple scenarios to get me started and see if I can see any patterns. But, I think your point about drawing out all 3 is the most useful way to attack this one. Thanks for your help

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.