LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Sophia123
|
Hi,

I was really confused on this question and chose answer choice B in a rush. However, looking back, I am still a bit confused on why A is a good answer choice. I realize the question is trying to draw an analogy, but I am having a hard time seeing the difference between A and B. Is it just that B refers to the strength of a wave current, which is not necessarily something that is "hidden" as the air currents are in answer choice A?

Thank you in advance!

-Sophia
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The biggest difference in my mind between answer choice (A) and (B) is the idea of intentionality. The question asks us how the author would see a revealed gender difference that was not specifically intended by the author.

Answer choice (B) presents an example of a ship that was intentionally designed to counter a specific amount of force. The people constructing the ship had the wave force in mind while creating it.
Answer choice (A) presents an example of a bird flying and encountering air currents. The bird flight is affected by the previously unseen current, but the bird does not necessarily foresee the air current.

Glück believed that a poet may reveal some gender differences without intending to do so, and that these differences will "emerge in the differing ways" that poets write about a subject (line 50) and that social and historical context will inevitably affect literature (line 56). This is similar to how a bird's flight is inevitably affected by an unforeseen current, even though the bird does not intend to fly a certain way beforehand.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.