LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

avengingangel
|
Could someone please explain why (C) is a better choice than (E?) I feel like they say a very similar thing, except (E) describes "inheritance" as an imposition, rather than the poetry -- I feel like an imposition is a much better way to describe something that is an inheritance.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Consider the tone here, Angel, and Gluck's viewpoint, and that may change your answer here. Gluck views this "inheritence" as a positive thing, something that has been handed down, a gift from earlier generations. That's hardly an "imposition" (answer E) or a "burden" (answer A). Answer C conforms to that tone and viewpoint, calling it a model and referencing achievements. She has inherited something good, something that she embraces and that sets an example for her to follow.

Always keep in mind the tone, the viewpoints, and the main point, and your answers will be informed by those elements. You should see general agreement between the answers and the tone of the passage.

Keep it up, you're doing fine!
 avengingangel
|
ah, yes. the second i saw "tone" in your response, i did indeed realize why c was superior. i definitely didn't think about that here... i was mostly hung up on the fact that "the poetry" is a tangible thing, unlike of how I thought "inheritance" was used in the passage (I thought of it more of like, an intellectual gift or knowledge being passed down). But taking the tone into consideration makes a lot of sense, and is a good reminder for me as I answer this and other reading comp questions.

Thanks again, Adam!!
 deck1134
|
Hi PowerScore staff,

Why is answer choice B incorrect here? I had the same rephrase as the explanation given above, namely that inheritance was a linguistic form (or technique) handed down that serves as a basis for the future--both B and C.

Help!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
As I said earlier in this thread, think of Gluck's tone here, Deck. Does she see the writings of those authors to be a restriction on her, telling her what is and is not "acceptable"? Or does she view it more as a gift, handed down from those great writers for her to emulate and aspire to? See the subsequent lines, and you will see that she embraces that tradition with respect and admiration. She's not stuck with it, because it is the only thing acceptable in her eyes, but blessed to have it as a model to learn from and expand upon. That positive tone should be all you need to select answer C over answer B.

Tone and viewpoints are crucial factors in RC, and can assist in answering all manner of questions! Pay attention to them, prephrase them, and use your understanding of them to your advantage.
 deck1134
|
Huh! I hadn't thought to use tone in that way. I guess "restrictions" really does convey a negative aspect that isn't covered in the passage!

I usually miss 1 on a reading comp section. So I think that makes me skimp out on the techniques and, if I apply them correctly, I will miss 0. Thanks very much.
 mollylynch
|
What is up with the 'particular language' part? I understand the latter part of the answer choice but don't understand how this part adds anything.
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Molly,

It's always helpful to return to the exact wording in the passage before answering a specific location question like this one.

"Rather she believed this was the tradition of her language and that it was for this reason her poetic inheritance. She thus views the canon of poets in English as a literary family to which she clearly belongs" (my emphasis)(lines 7-11).

As the text in the passage makes clear, Gluck considers the poetry of English language poets her tradition (and therefore her poetic inheritance) since English is her native language and she follows in this tradition. Presumably, she would not consider poetry in other languages part of her linguistic/cultural tradition/inheritance.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.