LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

powerscoreQasker
|
I have a question about the use of the term "style" in this passage. It may be that I was reading too fast to catch the way the author uses the term, but on my second read-through it seems to me that the author uses "style" to mean two different things:
  • the broader characteristics of the artwork being produced, which can incorporate several different sub-styles (as in the "centers of style" referenced in the second paragraph)
  • sub-styles, so to speak, or the specific form that artwork produced for one tribe takes (as in "the five styles in which [the Konate] carve" in the third paragraph, or the "finer and finer tribal styles and substyles" in paragraph four)
This then seems to support the author's argument that some historians who seek to tie tribe with style are mistaken, since it is the centers of style that reveal the causes of similarity, not the specific tribe that possesses the art.
Is this the correct way to read the author's use of the term "style"? I had a lot of trouble with this passage during the exam. If I've got it right now, do you have any advice for how to get it right the first time around?
Thanks in advance.
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Qasker,

In general, it sounds like you've got the right understanding of the complex usage of "style" in this passage.

A few recommendations: first, don't automatically assume that a general/broad term like "style" has one specific definition (unless the author immediately defines it), and don't immediately try to nail that term down to one specific definition upon first encounter in the passage. Instead allow yourself to get the bigger picture by reading more broadly through the passage. Second, any time important terminological distinctions are raised (like "centers of style"), use the immediately surrounding context to fill out your understanding of that more specific term. With "centers of style," you can tell they're being contrasted with what was just being discussed because of the author's use of the term "rather" when introducing them. Look at the prior sentence to figure out what the "centers of style" contrast with. Third, rather than too quickly forcing a definition on the term, look at why the term matters to the author. What is the question or problem surrounding "style" that the author really cares about? For example, in paragraph 1, the author comments that "the idea that the distribution of a particular style is necessarily limited to the area populated by one tribe may be 'a dreadful oversimplification.'" So what is the author worried about? The author is worried about those who peg a "style" to one area populated by one tribe. The author is concerned with oversimplifying the term. By keeping that in mind as the "big picture" issue the author cares about, you'll set yourself up to understand the less simplistic ways the author uses/defines "style."

I hope this helps!
 powerscoreQasker
|
Thanks! These seem like really good tips for approaching a passage like this.
 JocelynL
|
Hello,
Can you guys do a VIEWSTAMP on this passage so I can compare it to mine?
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sure, Jocelyn!

Viewpoint(s): There are two: (1) the historians of the last half-century (who kept refining their stylistic criteria for judging the origins of African sculptures, and who oversimplified things by assuming that each style was only limited to one region); and (2) the author and a recent critic, who say that limiting each style to one tribal region may be oversimplifying and who prefer to think in terms of "centers of style," places where groups of artists produce art that is then distributed to many neighboring tribes.

Structure:
  • Par. 1: critique of prior historical approach
  • Par. 2: statement of thesis
  • Par. 3: example of thesis
  • Par. 4: suggestions for changing historical approach in future
Tone: the author is openly critical of prior historians, and optimistic about the benefits of the recent critic's approach

Arguments: There is some intermixing of thesis and evidence throughout the passage. But probably the best way to understand the argumentative structure is to see that the first paragraph sets up a counterargument. The second paragraph elaborates the author and recent critic's position/thesis in opposition to prior historians. And the third paragraph gives evidence of that position/thesis.

Main Point: Rather than attempt to classify each style of African art as limited to an area populated by a single tribe, it is better to think in terms of "centers of style," within which groups of artists produced styles sharing some broad characteristics but also exhibiting some subtle variations for the varying tribes for whom the art was produced.

Let us know how that matches up with your analysis!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.