LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11623)

The correct answer choice is (C)

For a Must Be True question, we can apply the Fact Test to confirm the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (A): There is specific discussion of the possible advantages of the computer-generated visual displays, so the author would not agree with this assertion.

Answer choice (B): Critics of the technology don’t necessarily want to see it banned; some just want to ensure that the courts are responsible in allowing and monitoring its use.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. This is one of the steps the author provides in the list of steps which must be taken to avoid misuse in the courts.

Answer choice (D): The word that makes this answer choice incorrect is primarily. We know that the computer-generated displays are used in technical trials, but the author provides no insight into how often the displays may be used in non-technical trials.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice provides a clever pitfall: the author believes in the principle of equal access to the modern displays, but does not place the burden on the litigators. The author asserts that the job of counsel (litigators) is to analyze the data and disclose findings, and it would appear to be the job of the court system to provide for financial aid and ensure equal access to the technology.
 T.B.Justin
|
I marked all the answer choices as losers, and came back to the correct answer choice (C) to which I have a question, I think the evidence for this question is in lines 55-56, the author recommends that, "judges should forewarn jurors of the potentially biased nature of computer-generated evidence."

The correct answer choice uses the word "displays."

Are the test makers being broad(I dont know if broad fits here) with their use of language on purpose, and I suppose its acceptable to use "displays" since the author was discussing the possible ramifications of evidence applied to computer-generated displays.
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey T.B.!

Yep, you nailed this one. The interchangeable nature of 'displays' and 'evidence' is totally reasonable here, as the concept of computer generated displays was discussed entirely as their introduction into the court as evidence during a trial.

It's of course always important to keep your eye out for equivocal language that leads to 'shell game' type incorrect answers, but in this case the shifting nature of evidence/displays isn't egregious enough to cause concern.

Honestly, the fact that you focused so heavily on such a small shift is an excellent sign that you're developing the ridiculously careful reading necessary for LSAT success. Keep it up!!
 T.B.Justin
|
Hey Jay!

Thanks! 8-)

What would be an egregious yet subtle way the test makers could shift the nature of evidence/displays, in this scenario, perhaps "evidence that is generated by a computer and presented through traditional" means, does it suffice to suppose that, in this specific circumstance, computer-generated evidence is non-traditional?
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hmm, hard to really say here, as the two were so closely linked.

In a broader sense, there could be confusion between the terms 'evidence' and 'displays' with a looser use of 'display' in a non-evidentiary way, such as displays of support for the defendant outside the courtroom, or how the lawyers displayed contempt for the judgment, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about stretching this one further than it was originally stated, best to take the victory and bring that feather-in-your-cap scrutiny onto the next battle!
 T.B.Justin
|
Well spoken!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.