LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11630)

The correct answer choice is (A)

The question stem asks the logical relationship between the portion of the passage at lines 8-13 and the portion at lines 23-25 and lines 49-53 of the passage. At lines 8-13, the author is summarizing his main point: the benefits of legal reasoning systems have fallen short of predictions. At lines 23-25, the discussion focuses on how rule-based systems have proven inadequate because of the problems of interpretation. At lines 49-53, the discussion surrounds how case-based systems are limited. The first statement is a general statement: the benefits of legal reasoning systems have fallen short of expectations. The second statement is one example of how the first portion of the passage is true. The third statement is another example to support the first referenced assertion.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice, restating the prephrased answer above.

Answer choice (B): Since both later points support the first, this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): The first reference is a general assertion, but the later two referenced excerpts are facts, not assertions.

Answer choice (D): Since the two observations support the first assertion, this answer choice should be eliminated.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice is incorrect because the first referenced quote is a general assertion, rather than a specific observation.
 lsat.bea
|
Could someone please explain what the difference is between an assertion and an observation, and how each of the two latter lines referenced in the question stem are observations and not assertions? While I chose answer choice A, I am still unsure about why C is incorrect. Thank you in advance!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsat.bea!

An "assertion" is generally closer to an opinion or even a conclusion (it usually has support for it) while an "observation" is generally closer to a fact. The two latter lines referenced in the stem are observed facts rather than statements of opinion or supported conclusions.

Another difference between answer choices (A) and (C) is how they describe the relationship between these statements. Answer choice (A) states that the statement is supported by the latter two. That's a better, more specific description of their relationship than (C) which just says that the first statement entails (or involves) the other two.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 cleocleozuo
|
I have a question about the world entail though... I looked it up in dictionary, it says that entail mean "involve, or imply as a necessary accompaniment or result", does it mean that A entail B can be understand as A---->B (A is sufficient to guarantee B will happen?) Or does it mean A causes/induces B?

Many thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I would interpret that as more of a conditional claim than a causal one, cleocleozuo. If one assertion entails another, it requires the second one, without having to cause it. For example, if I claim that I will go camping the last weekend of July, that entails my having the ability to leave the house that weekend. Camping doesn't cause me to leave my home, but if I go camping I am required to leave.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.