LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=50)

The correct answer choice is (B)

The question stem asks for the author’s attitude toward arguments based on the evidence from the Mars rock (lines 44-46). The passage is largely void of the author’s own opinions or attitudes until the last sentence. While the rock from Mars is mentioned in lines 44-46, the real answer to this question lies in the last sentence (lines 54-57), where the author reflects a conservative attitude, cautioning that more evidence is needed before conclusions can be drawn.

Answer choice (A): While the author’s tone is cautious, it does not reflect ambivalence, but rather the awareness of the need for further evidence.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. The author is not particularly skeptical about the origins of the referenced Mars rock, but is clearly wary of drawing conclusions before more evidence is gathered.

Answer choice (C): The author does not appear to be skeptical regarding the rock’s origin; “it seems to be a rare example…” implies belief, so this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice is more focused on the one particular rock, while the author is more focused on the need to gather more such rocks and samples.

Answer choice (E): While the author does appear to accept the purported origins of the Mars rock, this does not imply outright acceptance of all possible arguments based on the evidence of the rock; in fact, the author specifically asserts that we need to gather more evidence before drawing conclusions about the pervasiveness of the LHB, so this answer choice is incorrect.
 Sdaoud17
|
I was between B and C ? and I picked C but hows caution ? I mean He is showing some doubts using the Mars as Evidence?

Thank you
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes, the question asks you to identify the author's attitude towards arguments based on the evidence from Mars rocks (lines 44-46). The real answer, however, lies in the last sentence (lines 54-57), where the author reflects a conservative attitude, cautioning that more evidence is needed before conclusions can be drawn. This is not overt skepticism, just general caution.

(C) is wrong, because the author does not appear to be skeptical regarding the rock's origin: "it seems to be a rare example..." implies belief. The skepticism exhibited in the last sentence has to do with what the rock means, not where it comes from.
 Sdaoud17
|
OKay great thank you
 T.B.Justin
|
Line 49, "indeed"

I think this further expounds on the authors caution. I see it as sarcasm.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.